Sign in to follow this  
Guest raulvolador2

New MSI format for FSX Missions

Guest raulvolador2

First at all many thanks to all the people is creating free missions for FSX.I think microsoft made a great job implementing the mission machine in FSX. I love the way than you copy some files in the correct folders and... magic a new mission is ready. No install, no exe, no dll. That is great. My FSX is never degradated. No dirty files. I can control every change on my computer and uninstall the missions once i enjoy it.Recently has become popular a new format to delivery missions: MSI format. I dont like this method. You lost every control over what happens in your computer: What archives are copied or deleted ?. What config files are modified?. Entire FSX can break if the mission-maker made a bad MSI installation.I beg to all FSX mission developers: Dont use the MSI format, please use the traditional, simple method of a compressed ZIP with the files to be copied.Another question. Microsoft provide a huge collection of categories: The good life, Challenges, Pilot for hire.... I think is not neccesary to create new categories. This simplify the installation and distribution of missions. Not need to change the FSCategories.xml file.Thanks a lot for your great job.Raul de Frutos----------------

Raul ,I have the same feeling about this method MSi , we can't control the content and integrity of our FSX files .I agree with your second thinking : no need to create other categories Thierry

Guest fsxmissionguy

It is an interesting dilemma for the mission designer the question of whether or not to use an .msi or provide instructions to the user.I have done it both ways. There are pros and cons. The pros for the mission designer are less tech support and installation documentation are required.The cons are obvious: if you do it wrong, you can hose things. I've had missions from some reputable companies hose my Categories because they didn't add their category correctly ... so I hear ya.On the other hand, I know a lot of people who use Flight Simulator are not comfortable moving folders around manually into these directories also. I may begin to release missions both ways and allow the downloader to decide whether he trusts me to do the .msi correctly, or give them the .zip option as well.Cheers,

Guest raulvolador2

Great, great idea. Release the missions in two flavours: easy (danger) install and expert (safe) install .About MSI format I only discover a way to extract files from it:c:>msiexec /a /qb TARGETDIR=Bad luck, file folder ubication and modifications on FScategories.xml is lost.Missions are the best of FSX. Thanks to you and all the missions developers. Good job.Raul de Frutos---------------

Guest fsxmissionguy

Raul,If you like missions, be sure and check out:http://www.flightsimulatorxmissions.comThis is the community of developers who create the missions you are downloading here on AVSIM. Only, over there, you get to see them first, and help beta test them, and learn about the guys building them.We're currently beta testing the free version of Xploration and would love to get your input.Cheers,