Sign in to follow this  
Guest conticreative

Are there Fixed wing firefighting missions for FSX?

Guest conticreative

I was very surprised when I was not able to find any firefighting missions for FSX. I imagined that with the FSX mission engine, missions where yo get to fly a tanker and put out fires, drop fire crews and generally load and unload the plane's fire retardant would be abundant. Yet, all I could find was a chopper based mission that unfortunately (for me) has a non functioning Helo to boot (The tail rotor is missing and evidently is not just a visual bug)I remember reading a fascinating book written by a tanker pilot recounting the many adventures and the difficulty of flying planes over raging fires. At that time my flying experience was minimal but I still enjoyed the tales of rickety planes flying over fire induced winds. Dropping fire jumpers on location and all the adventures of a full fire season.I wish I could remember the name of the book, but it was a riveting read.I assume that one difficulty of creating a mission like this one would be simulating the fires and the winds and shear they produce. It may be that FSX is simply unable to recreate those scenarios. But even without those, just trying to drop retardant on Flore and all that it involves would make a very enjoyable mission, I would think.I am actually trying to learn more about creating missions and repainting planes (I figure a DC3 would be good candidate) but I already work as a software developer and it seems that my work and hobbies already keep me chained to my computer (I fly FSX, IL2 for combat, I drive racecar online races and compose classical music - naturally, on a computer). I am not so sure I have the time and inclination to add what looks like another computer based activity to learn. But I would pay good money for such a simulation.What do you folks think? Is it even possible to create forest fires on FSX? How about the winds they create? Would X-plane be a better simulator for something like this?By the way, I am new to Vatsim and I can't wait to go fly online.

Guest fsxmissionguy

There are both fixed-wing and helo firefighting missions that you can download free here along with lots of other types of missions:http://www.flightsimulatorxmissions.comSearch for missions entitled:Oregan AblazeThis helicopter mission uses a Bell 205 with a firefighting tank built into i (comes with the mission), and a hose that you can dip into the nearby lake.Hill AB Fire Crew ExtractionThis mission starts out in the EH101, but then you switch to the Goose for some fixed-wing forest firefighting. You fill up the belly tank by skimming a nearby lake.It is indeed possible to simulate forest fires, even fairly large ones. Most missions so far have not gone to the detail of adding the updrafts common to real fires, but its possible using elements of the mission system.(I think I read that book as a kid, too. Can't remember the name of it. One of my favorite movies is "Always" ... starring Richard Dreyfuss and the adorable Holly Hunter as forest firefighters.)Cheers,