Sign in to follow this  
Guest william273

KBOS runway 33

Guest william273

did a few takeoffs and landings at boston logan and used runway 33 when landing. i found it to be a sloping runway that made flying an ILS difficult. was wondering if anyone else noticed this or maybe it's just me. KLAX seemed to have one like it also but i don't remember which runway. one of the ones used when coming in over the water but not as intense as the one at KBOS. william

Guest lamont

Hi William,Are you sure you don't mean offset? Slope really doesn't effect the ILS approach and besides it isn't modeled in FS9. As for the offset, 33L isn't offset, although 15R is.None of LAX's runways are offset, they are all straight in.

Guest william273

hi, well, when i'm approaching the runway it looks to be almost up hill from the threshold. kind of a slope for lack of a better word. i understand offset i think but this runway just has an up hill look and feel to it or maybe it's just me. i'd heard sloping runways weren't modeled and that's one reason i posted this. glad you mentioned 15R. i landed on that one also but the flight director seemed OFF like pointing me to the other runway beside it. i thought i set the wrong freq. or something so i ignored it and on which one i don't remember now but that must be the reason the FD pointed to the right. i made of video of it and it shows the FD pointing to the right and me ignoring it. was hoping no one would notice it but now that it has been brought up.... you can check it out if you want to: www.youtube.com/videos/william273 thanks for the reply! williamPS: i hope it's ok to post the link if not i'm sure i'll hear about it.

Guest william273

i meant to say, "i ignored it and LANDED on which one i don't remember". left that word out, sorry. william

Guest lamont

William,I reviewed your video and you did it exactly right. The approach will bring you in at a slight angle to the runway orientation and you must manually make the adjustment to line up for touchdown. Just the way you did it.As for the slope issue it's just an illusion. As a matter of fact that runway has no slope. I've included the charts for 15R, 33L and the Airport diagram and you'll see that there is no indication of a slope.Hope this helps and enjoy the hobby.

Guest william273

guess it's just an illusion on my part. thanks for the feedback lamont. william