Sign in to follow this  
Guest martin842

Can the FSX shaders tweak be used in FS9?

Guest martin842

I read a thread in the FSX forum on tweaking the shader thingy in FSX. I tried this in FSX, and it made a significant improvement to frame rates in FSX.I wonder if the same thing can be done in FS9?There are two ways of doing this in FSX.1. The first is to add an entry to the DISPLAY.CFG file in the FSX root directory. FS9 also has a DISPLAY.CFG file in its root directory, but the entries in it look nothing like those in the FSX version, so I suspect that doing the FSX tweak in the FS9 DISPLAY.CFG file won't work, as FS9 probably won't understand the new entries.2. The second way of doing the shader tweak is to use a utility from Nvidia or ATI (as appropriate) which can be used to turn off or turn down the shader in the hardware. This sounds more promising.If anyone out there knows about video card technology, could they comment on this? It would be great if we could get this tweak to work in FS9 as it does wonders for frame rates in FSX.ThanksMartin

Guest martin842

If a video card has the shader capability in its hardware, but FS9 makes no use of it, does this mean that at least part of the processing power of the card is sitting idle doing nothing? If the feature was turned off, would this not therefore free up the unused processing power?(I know nothing about video cards - I'm just using intuition ...)Martin

It would take code of some type to initiate the shader capability. In the case of FS-X, whether via cfg entry or tweaking the card driver itself, the functionality is disabled so the code won't call it. In FS9, the code isn't there to call it, so no cycles are used for the functionality. In other words, the processing power isn't used because nothing's asking the processor to use the functionality.-John

Guest martin842

Thanks for explaining that to me. I now see what's going on.Thanks again.Martin

I do believe it is possible to add shaders like FSX, but you would need to add a DLL to the modules folder like Shaders.dll or something I havent found a way to create dll's for it yet but adding things to FS9 is unlimited Ii think. if you know how to Program c++ then you should have no problem adding shaders to FS9 or FSX.