Sign in to follow this  
Speedbyrd

Altitude Restrictions for AI Aircraft?

In the past versions of FS, there were limitations on the altitude that AI aircraft could attain, usually 35,000 or less. I thought I had read someplace that this had been fixed in FS9. I have some high altitude AI's I'd like to set up for high altitude (Concorde, F-18 Hornet, etc.) but don't want to go to through the hassle if they won't fly right. Right now I have my Concordes restricted to 38,000 ft. Can we use realistic altitudes on these craft? (FL550, etc.?)Thanks for any experiences you can share.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

HelloMy fleet is mostly AI Aardvark acft. I have experienced one altitude problem with the Aardvark 727-200 AI acft. Struggled with it for quite a spell and not being an acft designer, finally had to settle for simply discovering at which altitude the leading edge slats were extending and NOT going above that altitude. Turns out FL300 was the limit. Above this, the leading edge slats would extend. Crazy stuff, no? None of the other Aardvark planes do this. I finally had to leave the problem as is, and simply made adjustments to the flight plans for all 727-200's, with FL290 max going east, and FL300 heading west. I don't even bother thinking about it. Once they takeoff, they're on their own, and if you take out after one of these birds, just don't look down, and you won't know the difference. I'm editing this......... Sorry, I didn't address your main question. As far as I know, it's not that flt sim has certain altitude limits. If you find a certain acft doesn't behave at high altitude, the problem is most likely more in the flight dynamics for the target acft. I've read a lot of the better posts here and must admit I've never heard anyone hint that FS (any version) had some hidden altitude limits. So if you are having problems, as noted in your post, try switching the offending acft with one of your other birds. Restart, and then see what you get. Best idea I can offer you.

It's funny you mention this about the Aardvark 727's. I've been flying them for some time and never noticed any issues with them. I have the entire Braniff fleet and I see them fly with me at FL330 or even 350 at times. I'll have to look closer.Thanks