Sign in to follow this  
Cactus521

Rebuilding scenery database.....

Just a word to the wise. If FS9 gives you this message with increasing frequency, you may be ready for a Hard Drive replacement. I started getting this message at random about a month back, with increasing frequency--first it was every few days, then every other day, then almost once a day. By checking the date/timestamps of the scenery.dat files I could see it happening to different scenery folders--most often USA Roads folders since they contain by far the largest number of files. Usually files which are only read by the sim shouldn't be breaking all by themselves--seemed a sign of something amiss.So I decided to replace my Hard Drive a week ago--used a nifty freeware utility called XXCopy to clone most of my data. No problems since. How did I narrow it down to the hard drive? I already tried swapping out Ram chips to no avail, and still noticed the problem more likely happened during after a long session on my system. And since the files were normally static data, it seemed common sense that damage to those files would be indicative of a pending failure.I was on the fence whether to post this in the H/W forum or here, but I see this subject come up a lot. Listen gang, if you start getting read errors on scenery installed long ago, heed the warning signs, BACK UP your data and look into getting your HD replaced. I suspect my HD was not far away from total failure--with my investment not only in the sim, but in all the tools I work with, I didn't want to leave things to chance.-JohnMods--feel free to move if needed.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Thanks for the heads-up John, that is most interesting! I just bought Acronis 9.0 for my backup needs! Wish I had found that freeware you found though!!! Which website do you use to find good freeware programmes BTW? :)

Don't use any specific website. I found XXCopy some months back by googling with the keywords "Freeware" and "clone"...-John