Sign in to follow this  
Guest JonP01

Improving front view over the nose......

Hello fellow simmers,I am a real fan of scale and realism. But, here is an area where I need to compromise.I would like to see a bit more over the nose on a couple of my aircrafts. I know I can lift the seat by clicking the keys but, I find this anoying after a while specially if busy on short final. Yes, I am also lazy. I would like to make this automatic (permanent). I read a long time ago, that the aircraft.cfg could be modified so that the view over the nose is a tad higher. Could someone please tell me which line and how I could fix it, Thanks and I pray the Gods of true scale to forgive meLeon Louis

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Leon,Actually, I believe you need to modify the panel.cfg file in the panel folder, not the aircraft.cfg file. First, test to make sure I am not leading you astray by loading up an airplane and pressing Shift+ENTER. If that is the type of view change effect you are looking for, quit Flight Sim and add or modify the [views] section of the panel.cfg file for the airplane by making sure there is a statement in there as follows:VIEW_FORWARD_DIR=xx.x, 0.0, 0.0Play around with a number (ususally less than 10.0) for xx.x - positive or negative - until you get the exact effect you want (positive numbers lower the nose, negative ones raise it and you can include decimal parts). This modified view direction will always be in effect for that aircraft when you fly it and it will persist even if you look off to the side and back forward again.Stan V.

I have mapped the "move eyepoint" commands to one of the hat switches on my throttle. This makes it very easy to move the eyepoint without having to take your hands off the controls.

Lelola,You don't mention whether you are trying to adjust this for the 2D cockpit, VC, or both. Stan's reply is correct with regard to establishing an improved view with the 2D cockpit, but you do still need to alter the eyepoint parameters in the aircraft.cfg file in order to achieve a similar and parmanent effect in the VC. In the VC, the VIEW_FORWARD_DIR parameters in the panel.cfg file actually perform the equivalent of panning the viewpoint downwards, not moving the eyepoint upwards. So in order to establish an improved view using the VC, you need to adjust both parameters, as well as the settling on a satisfactory zoom factor in the first instance.In the aircraft.cfg file, the parameter to adjust is the third number in the "eyepoint=" parameter. For example, the stock Cessna 172 is "eyepoint=-3.95, -0.85, 2.1". Increasing the 2.1 moves your viewpoint upwards, but then you may need to adjust the VIEW_FORWARD_DIR parameter in the panel.cfg file as well in order to tilt your head down a little bit. So the analogy is that increasing the last number in the eyepoint parameter moves your seat upwards whilst VIEW_FORWARD_DIR bends your neck forwards so that your eyes look downwards (remember this relates to the VC view - in the 2D view as Stan pointed out the VIEW_FORWARD_DIR gives the effect of adjusting both these things at the same time). Whatever adjustments you make to these figures, they become permanent whenever you select that particular aircraft. You will also most probably want to move your eyepoint backwards a little as well, in which case you would decrease (ie make more negative) the first value of the eyepoint parameter.Whenever I am adjusting an aircraft this way, I usually have both the panel.cfg files and aircraft.cfg files open in notepad whilst toggling between the two and FS2002. Each time I adjust a parameter, I then go back into FS2002, load up another aircraft (that I am not adjusting), then load the aircraft back up that I am adjusting in order to see the changes. If you don't unload / reload the plane after you make each adjustment, you won't see the results correctly.As I mentioned, it is fairly critical to settle on your desired level fo zoom first - before adjusting the other two parameters, as the zoom level itself has quite an influence upon your perceived viewpoint.