Sign in to follow this  

Obligatory "Performance Advice Needed" Thread

Alright, I've been out of the simming world for a few months now and I need some advice on how to tweak my system for maximum FS2k2 performance. Here are my system specs & settings:Hardware:-Athlon XP 2400+ @ 2270MHz (151MHz FSB/302MHz DDR) @ 1.75V stock HSF-512MB PC2700 DDR DIMM (Infineon chips) w/maximum settings @ 2.7V-MSI KT3 Ultra 2 w/7.00t BIOS & 4.43 Via 4-in-1's-Chaintech GF4 Ti 4200 128MB 8x (280 core/570 mem) w/31.00 Det's @ 1.7V using 4x AGP, SBA off, fast-writes off, 256MB AGP aperture, Thermaltake copper GF4 GPU cooler & aluminum ramsinks-20GB WD Caviar 7200RPM ATA100 HD using NTFS file format-Hercules Fortissimo III PCI soundcard w/V1.03 software-Realtek 8139A PCI NIC-Ambit external cable modem-Logitech Wingman Extreme joystick w/V4.4x software (USB)-Logitech Z340 speakers & subwoofer-MS optical Intellimouse (ps2)-standard 104-key keyboard (ps2)-HSFs on northbridge & southbridge, heatsink on NIC's DSPSoftware:-Windows 2000 Pro w/SP 3-IE 6 w/SP 1-.NET architecture installed-DX 9-Riva Tuner 2.0 RC12.2-FS2k2 ProFS2k2 Settings:full screen res: 1024x768x32@85Hz-Quincunx AA-8x anisotropic filtering (w/trilinear filtering enabled)-mip-mapping enabled-multi-texturing enabled-texture quality: maximum-terrain mesh complexity: 87-terrain texture size: high-autogen density: extremely dense-scenery complexity: extremely dense-effects detail: high-max visibility: 120mi-water effects: detail & resolution-cloud density: 66-ground scenery shadows: on-dawn/dusk texture smoothing: on-extended terrain textures: on-terrain detail textures: on-aircraft texture size: high-VC gauge quality: high-reflections: on-AC cast shadows: on-landing lights: on-resize panel w/window: on-target fps: 30-hardware lights: 3-HW acceleration: onFS2k2 config display settings:[DISPLAY]Device=NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8XMode=1024x768x32UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=30TnL=1TriLinear=1AntiAlias=1[TERRAIN]TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=3.470000TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=19TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=5TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=8.000000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=9.900000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=4[sCENERY]IMAGE_COMPLEXITY=5DYNAMIC_SCENERY=0DYN_SCN_DENSITY=0DAWN_DUSK_SMOOTHING=1Ok, that should about cover it... So basically with all details all the way on (AA&AF enabled simultaneously) the fps pretty much sticks @ 30 in all views (dips down to 20 or so @ busy airports on landing or takeoff if panning around in spot view). I know there has to be a better Det driver than the 31.00, but that's the one I've had the most luck with so far. I tried the 42.01's yesterday but that seemed to decrease fps. I had the 42.86's installed originally but that caused stuttering every couple seconds (fps were fun, but there's no point if the thing stutters every 3 seconds). I want to try the 29.42's but I can't recall if those have good AA&AF performance or not... Any config file/riva tuner/fs settings changes/Det changes anyone could recommend my ears are open!Thanks in advance

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Max I think I can help you since we have very similar systems. turn off any processes in XP you will not run on a regular basis. I only Iam running 15 process by default. I believe the Windows 2000 default is like 34.Remember to turn off any anti virus software.If you run Nortons you have to do it from the task manger to actually kill the process Download these programs and files I use the 42.82 drivers from guru3d.com Nvidia File Remover (NFR) http://rudz.homepage.dk/nfr/ NvRefreshTool v2.1a www.nvrt.org 4n1 Hyperon drivers (via chipset drivers)www.viaarena.comI did not see your montior but you should download the montior files from you montiors web site. This is important for proper refresh rates , iam sure you know that though :) Download the lastest sound card drivers update the bios LAST . You will have to reset you bios settings afterwards. getting the checksum error is normal until you reset your settings manually .http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/bios...1&NAME=MS-6380EInstall the above files do not reboot just yet From add and remove programs remove the Nvidia Drivers and reboot. Now excute this NFR and see if it finds and left over nvidia files. It will proboly find the "stock XP" nv files. do not delete them. go to the task bar and hit "START/RUN" type regedit. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWARE. Delete the Nvidia Corporation key and close regedit. Install the 42.82 drivers and reboot Execute NVrefresh and it should dectect the proper refresh rates for your montior you can just hit apply and reboot . Now to tweaking :)Since you use riva tuner you might either want to use antisotropic texturing 4X or use 8X with full optimizations . 8X antisotropic texturing is very heavy on the system resources I only use 4x Use 2X AA instead of Quincunx AA.It does not look as pretty but once you do this plus the above you can bump the resolution up to 1152x864 and still get great performance. Bring max visabilty down to 70 or 90 miles. This way you can free up some video ram since the pixels will not try to redraw out to 150 miles.After doing that you can bring the mesh up to 100% :) Aircraft shawdows and ground shadows are major performance eater. I would disable aircraft shadows. Now you should be able to turn on dynamic scenery to full if you want Clouds are another perforance eater. If you use FsSky World I would recommend either 50% or 60% . I use only Project AI or Fspainter for AI. I do not use any default MS AI except for the general aviation. My AI % depends on the airport in use for me . I generally leave it on 75% and in some cases 100% at smaller airports. Autogen % is a personal prefrence . I see it only takes away about 2 FPS on full.My settings are all maxed excepet for AI 75-100 depending on area Clouds 60 Visabilty 90 Aircraft shadows OFF FPS locked at 25Tweaks FSAA 2X Antisotropic Texturing 4X Resolution 1152x864@100hz FPS 15-25 depending on the area and weather.that might sound very low but for FS2k2 it is more than smooth for me I hope this helps you . Good luck Capt.Richard Dillon (KATL)www.jetstarairlines.comhttp://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg"Lets Roll" 9/11 -----------------------Specs AMD 2400 XP MSI KTV4 512MB DDR 2100Asus GF4 ti 4200 128MBSB Audigy Gamer Ch Products Yoke and Pedals(usb)Windows 2000 Serivce Pack 3

Thanks Richard! I'll have to give those tweaks a shot and see how she flies :) A couple questions for you though: what Detonator drivers have you tried? I've tried a few of the newer 4x.xx's and had nothing but bad luck with them, so I'm a bit hesitant to switch from the 31.00's I'm using now with such good luck. I'm sure I can get better performance but it would be nice to know for sure that X driver will perform better than Y driver. Also, any idea which processes I can kill, and how might I disable them so they don't run at startup? I'm so used to using msconfig but Win2k doesn't have that little proggie so I'm a bit in the dark here when it comes to modifiying some OS settings for Win2k.Thanks in advance,

Heya Max,The best utility to manage boot programs and processes is called Startup Control Panel:http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtmlIts easy as heck and allows tweaking every place a program can startup from in one window (besides services).As for services, there is no "optimal" set of them that should be run and which to disable - it completely depends on your own needs. However, a great guide to what is what and what *can* be disabled is available here:http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htmGood luck and good to see you around again,Elrond---Not enough bandwidth to display this signature! Don't reformat hard drive? (Y/N)