Sign in to follow this  
Holland_Holland

Active Sky Vs FS Mateo 5.2 Follow - Up

Hello Everyone...Just reporting back on some findings... Remember these are POSSIBILITIES BASED on OBSERVATIONS: And because weather changes every day, it is hard to make an exact comparison. I plan to run the next series of tests on the same exact weather data. However, I did run into porpoising on different weather data over the two days. The other hard thing to compare is even if you use the same weather data, FS Mateo and Active Sky could produce different results. And couple that with FSUIPC weather functionality adding another factor.In my eyes, reality is the objective.Problem (A) PorpoisingI have never experienced porpoising like what I experienced.Possible Causes:(1) Poor flight characteristics w/ A/C (doubtful as the A/C flies pretty well and it doesn't do it consistantly)(2) Weight and Balance problem (again doubtful because it is not constant)?(3) Gusts and Wind (Possibly, I don't know)I will say that FS Meteo 5.2 was the Weather Engine and porpoising did exist.Problem (:( Strong Down Draft Lost 6000 feet of altitude within a very short time span (maybe less than 10 seconds) Also the airplane was totally uncontrolable (Haven't been able to duplicate this with FS Meteo). Some have commented that this is normal.. I hit pretty major turbulance during flights and I haven't ever lost 6000 feet that fast. Most I have dropped is about 1000 ft (as I recall) usually due to wind shear.This needs to be re-tested. I need to see if it was just a fluke or it is a actual problem..I want to apoligize if I ruffled feathers and maybe jumped the gun, and I should have stated more clearly these were my observations and not necessarily flaw(s) in either FS Meteo or Active Sky. That is why I am starting a new post in either place. Maybe this could be a flaw in MS FS 2K2 weather? The bottom line is there are many other factors... Hope to let you know more of my observations in the near future..Thanks!Barry

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Problem (:( Strong Down Draft Lost 6000 feet of altitude within a very short time span (maybe less than 10 seconds) Also the airplane was totally uncontrolable (Haven't been able to duplicate this with FS Meteo). Some have commented that this is normal.. I hit pretty major turbulance during flights and I haven't ever lost 6000 feet that fast. Most I have dropped is about 1000 ft (as I recall) usually due to wind shearKnown problem: incorrections in metarinfo and hence interpretation of metar. Couple this on handling if metardatafailure by the program and you have a major what some call "airpocket"Keep on testing, it's much appreciated.Rob "Holland&Holland" de Vries http://www.emotipad.com/emoticons/Flying.gif