Sign in to follow this  
Guest Wizard

FS 9 and Vista PERF hit??

Guest Wizard

I read a few early comments on Vista...but no one has stated how FS9 works with with Vista. I see some great deals on mid size systems, but they are loaded with Vista.Is anyone using V and fs9 . Is there a performance hit?Would the following specs run FS 9 ..smoothly?AMD 64 x dual core 44002048 mb ramATI x1650 graphicsWindows Vista UltimateMike

Guest MikeFloutier

Hi Mike,My name is also Mike and I just bought almost the exact same system as you're looking at.I'm just about to try FS9 with it for the first time so I'll let you know how I get on.MikePs So far, I have to say that very little of the stuff I'm using works in Vista as the developers have yet to write the required new drivers. Many people advise waiting for a year - lol!

Mike,I don't have Vista myself but a good friend of mine loves experimenting and doing comparisons even more so than flying. He is very meticulous and here is what he has reported:FS9 yielded less frame rates when using Vista.Imagine my surprise, though, when I saw the difference in examples he gives:HeathrowFS9 with XP Pro = 49FS9 with Vista = 28And Seattle:FS9 with XP Pro = 59FS9 with Vista = 28The trend with FSX was similar but the differences were much less being somewhere between 2 and 7 fps in favour of Win XP.You can be assured that he has no bias here and, in fact, loves both FSX and Vista. He points out, of course,that this is the result on HIS system and can't be taken as applying to all systems. His PC Specs are:AMD Athlon 64 x 2 5000+2GB RAM320GB SATA HDDPCI-E 7600GT x 2

Guest MikeFloutier

Hi again Mike,I just did a quick test flight out of Seattle with the default 737.I set:Scenery > Ultra-highWeather > Ultra-highHardware > Target frame rate: unlimited display resolution: 1280x1024I took off, circled and landed and during that time the frame rate remain mostly around the 60 mark but once or twice getting over the 100. So it looks good so far.My setup is:Windows Vista Home PremiumAMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core Processor 4600+2.00 GB RAM256MB ATI Radeon X1300ProEtc...Another good thing is that it worked - which a lot of my old stuff hasn'tHope this helpsMike