Sign in to follow this  
Guest SoarPics

aerodynamics and flight controls

It is true that the flight model in FS leaves a lot to be desired, especially when it comes to 'heavies' which ever too often behave like overgrown cessnas. Still I think a large part of the problem lies with the yoke or joystick.Anyone who have flown a real plane, be it a 747 or a cessna will tell you that the force reqired to move the yoke is MUCH MUCH greater than what you'll need in FS, hence the unsteady pitch and roll control in many simulated planes.Now, here is a question (or a suggestion rather) to the computer experts out there (My own expertese lie elswhere unfortunately):Is it possible to create a module which renders either force feedback or joystick inputs so the response will be more realistic?(maybe through FSUIPC???)if anyone is willing to give it a try I'll be happy to assist, I'm not much of a programer but I have some experience in flying :)(707 and herks mainly).cheers//Mike

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I've mentioned this in the past...........Never flown a commercial jet aircraft, as a Seneca is the largest. But after getting somewhat use to a Pitt's, various homebuilts, and many hours with short little sticks of radio control transmitters; I've developed what I consider a "light touch" for my computer controllers. My "mind" also feels in gaps for what the "feel" should be like.Because of the above, I don't have ANY problem with unsteady pitch or roll..............unless the air.file IS really bad!! (FS2K Lear???) :) I've had friends over, that porpoise all over. I've seen commercial pilots with thousands of hours, who were very unsteady at the controls of an R/C aircraft, for the first few hours. And apparently, it's the same when it comes to adapting to computer controls by some real pilots with many flight hours & little PC time.Considering the limitations of PC hardware, I think many flight models for FS2002 do a respectable job of conveying mass, weight, roll & pitch rates. But I also believe that using a light feel & knowing what a real aircraft feels like---------helps too!Now if a program can be devised for a PC system, that somewhat duplicates real stick forces, then fine by me. But it's not one of my priorities.L.Adamson

Hi Mike,I can do what you wish with my HOTAS Cougar. I can adjust the dead zones and axis shaping in the Cougar Control Panel to create a "heavy" or "light" feel to my prefernce (what's really being adjusted is the response time and profile algorithms).Much of what you suggest can be found in properly written .air and .cfg files. Numerous 3rd party aircraft have very good flight dynamics... due to the time and dedication of a few folks to create top notch FD files.Regards,