Sign in to follow this  
Guest 767flyer

Joystick & Keyboard

Guest 767flyer

Hi.I have installed Flight Simulator in my computer some time ago. I don't have a joystick and have been playing mostly with small aircrafts (Cessna 172/182), which seems to be fine for me -- I can takoff, follow up ATC instructions, land and more. However, when I try to fly with jets (Learjet 45 or 737), the game gets waaaaaay much harder, especially during approachs and landings. I don'y know, but I suspect that if I was using a joystick it would be easier to approach and land jets. Sometimes it takes to long for the game to respond my commands on the key board.So, what do you guys think? It's really worth for me to buy a joystick or my problem is lack of skills? Should a good FS pilot be able to land any aircraft with any hardware (keyboard, joystick) ?Thanks for your replies.767

Guest RonB49

I used flight sim for years on a Commodore 64 and later on a PC using the keyboard only. It was easier, on the C64, to use the keyboard than the on or off (digital) joystick and after I got a PC I just continued with the keyboard because I was used to it.But I can tell you that once a got a proportional (analog) joystick there was no turning back. I now have a yoke and pedals (for GA and commercial fixed wing aircraft) and a joystick (and the pedals) for helicopters. The difference is emmence.And you needn't spend a great deal of money. I even got one joystick free at CompUSA after an in-store discount and rebates. Go get one now; you can thank me later.R-