Sign in to follow this  
Speedbyrd

Wind discrepency...

sometimes I notice a major discrepency between the wind direction given by ATIS and what shows on the FS wind indicator and Active Sky. Today at RJGG, my sources were showing the wind to be 303 @ 13. But ATIS gave the direction at 169, so I was directed for takeoff with a stiff tailwind. Any idea why this happens or a way to fix?Thanks

Guest Nealoc187

Did you make sure that ActiveSky had updated the weather for that airport before you got the ATIS? A couple times I've gotten the ATIS too soon after starting activesky and it hasn't updated the weather for my airport yet, so it reported an old/erroneous wind value. That's the only time I've noticed this problem though.

>Did you make sure that ActiveSky had updated the weather for>that airport before you got the ATIS? A couple times I've>gotten the ATIS too soon after starting activesky and it>hasn't updated the weather for my airport yet, so it reported>an old/erroneous wind value. That's the only time I've>noticed this problem though.Well, I thought I had as I usually set up Active Sky before anything else, a good 15 minutes before I begin my start-up procedures.I may have done something wrong as I usually don't run into this and things are usually pretty accurate.

Guest Nealoc187

hmm that's peculiar. maybe your internet was down for a little bit and AS didn't have a chance to update during that 15 minutes or something? kindof a long shot, but that's all I can think of. I usually start AS6 as I'm setting up my FMC/GPS and what not and it's good to go by the time I get ATIS and call for clearance - only takes a couple minutes to have the proper weather completely loaded.