Sign in to follow this  
Guest rbrown3rd

GE and. VE observations

I seem to get better updates using the VE server but the colors don't seem to be quite as subtle as the ones at GE. Anyone else have observations comparing the two services using Tileproxy?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Its all pretty much a mixed bag. Mostly GE is better and has better resolution for many areas but I notice that VE has better colors for Sydney Oz and in the UK.

I get the feeling I get less errors and a faster download from VE, but definitely less coverage East Coast of Australia. VE tiles tend to have a greenish tinge. Not necessarily less realistic, but GE and VE combined starts to look quite dodgey the couple of times I've swapped between the two. VE no fun when you start to see the "white paper" edges around their high def stuff either - "the end of the world is nigh!"VE doesn't kick you off either mind you. I prefer GE and just do a scenery reload with LOD set to max a couple of times (or as required) if I'm serious about exploring somewhere new. Probably a sign of my AMD 64 4000+ struggling with everything that's going on...Rob

I have the UK scenery "GEN X". They use "VE" textures for the scenery. I was disappointed that the Islands in the Thames around Chiswick and Barnes were covered with water. I flew the area using TP and the Islands were reinstated. I was using "VE" and the textures are an exact match for those used in Gen X. I had a similar problem over West Mersea Island in Essex. The connecting bridge was under water. Flew over it with TP and the Bridge is restored ! Amazing stuff. One very odd side effect though. When I fly the areas now in FSX, the Thames river itself is covered in random textures, completely obscuring the river itself. If I disable TP's folder 501 in the scenery Library of FSX, everything goes back to normal. I don't have any "saved" texture files in that 501 folder as I uninstalled Beta 3 completely, so it's a big mystery to me. I've just downloaded and installed Beta 4 but haven't tried it yet. Many thanks to Chris for a wonderful piece of Software. Fred With Folder 501 enableda>With folder 501 disabled( there are no textures in there and ithttp://img260.imageshack.us/img260/8169/londonnotp501yr4.jpg' alt='londonnotp501yr4.jpg'>