Sign in to follow this  
Guest JSPuonti

A funny (or just plain weird?) feature suggestion

Guest JSPuonti

How hard would it be to configure TileProxy to download not satellite imagery, but MAP imagery from one of the many map services online? Instead of satellite photographs you'd grab map images with street, lake, ocean and other location names embedded in them. It would be a great way to get to know the layout of a city or other location before travelling there. I bet those images would be faster to download, too.Possible? Impossible? Too much of a curiosity to bother with?

Guest cbuchner1

I think a "hybrid" map view would be a bit more interesting. Real terrain mixed with overlaid street names ;)

Guest JSPuonti

Even better :) I imagine THAT, however, would require yet more bandwidth and / or time to get both the satellite and map data downloaded... Unless of course the map service of choice provided the hybrid images directly.

Guest rbrown3rd

>How hard would it be to configure TileProxy to download not>satellite imagery, but MAP imagery from one of the many map>services online? Instead of satellite photographs you'd grab>map images with street, lake, ocean and other location names>embedded in them. It would be a great way to get to know the>layout of a city or other location before travelling there. I>bet those images would be faster to download, too.>>Possible? Impossible? Too much of a curiosity to bother with?Not such a bad idea. I have thought of it as well. Yes, it would be a great way to explore an area. I am sure it would be possible since the major suppliers also provide map imagery as well as aerial imagery.