Sign in to follow this  
Guest Beetle

mapping service for Antarctica?

Guest Beetle

hello christian,everytime a new real-time map service appears for a particular part of the world, inevitably someone asks you when you will integrate it into TP. well, allow me to jump on the bandwagon.it appears there is a new site that delivers up to 15m pixel images for Antarctica:http://lima.usgs.gov/index.phpthe reason i bring this up is because Antarctica is such a remote and unexplored place, truly man's last terrestrial frontier. it would be endlessly fascinating (to me) to be able to explore it via TP.admittedly, i have no idea if this is technically feasibly. but still: could this be used as a terrain source in TP?

Guest cbuchner1

Technically very feasible, but I don't know which units are being passed for the bounding box argument. Also I am oretty sure that they cannot use Mercator projected maps near the equator, such as required by Tileproxy. This could be solved by re-projecting the data (but in realtime?!?!)http://limaims.cr.usgs.gov/servlet/com.esr...=365&HEIGHT=392And finally you wouldn't have any reasonable terrain data (DEM data, or mesh), as SRTM did not cover it.Christian