Sign in to follow this  
Guest cbuchner1

Second Beta 7 preview posted - Read before upgrade.

I just posted a second preview version leading up to Beta 7. The reason why I am publishing these preview versions is mainly to gather some feedback on the new technologies that were added in each major version.In V6 it was the water masks.In V7 it is increased performance and the moving map.The main reasons that prevents me from calling this the "Beta 7 version" are:* likelyhood of hangups when switching from full screen mode to windowed mode. So my current advice remains to fly in Windowed mode mostly.* no benefits for FSX RTM and FS 2004 users yet.To get rid of the fullscreen instability disable the directx 9 hook in the INI file. But then you also lose the moving map. In case of a hangup, using a sequence keypresses that would lead to a user logout (or standby mode) helped me recover: Windows key, cursor up, enter. Then I was able to re-login and got my graphics back.The main reason why you should try this second preview is the added performance over Beta 6. Finally go 100 knots into any direction without regrets. Fly anywhere. Tileproxy is now ready for General Aviation in my opinion (I still think that more speedups are possible, but that is a topic for Beta 8 - maybe using jets will be a possibility then)I strongly advise everyone to have a look at the ProxyUser.New.INI file in case you perform an upgrade installation and to copy all the new directives into your existing INI file.Also please unload the tileproxy.sys driver if you previously ran tileproxy or alternatively reboot after the upgrade. That is what the "unload" function was made for: allowing to replace the driver in memory with an updated version.You will notice that this version starts pre-loading terrain as soon as you select an aircraft location in the FSX menu. However the textures will be of the "Summer" kind. This is because TP does not really know what season it is in specific parts of the world, depending on your selected date and time of flight. So kindly choose "Summer" as a your flying season if you want to profit fully from the preloading before flight. Later versions of TP might be smarter about the seasons.TP supports the terrain radius settings of Low, Medium and High. Custom hacks of the terrain detail radius in the FSX.cfg INI file (any radius larger than the High setting) are currently not supported.Christian

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

The problem that was preventing switching Fullscreen and Windowed mode is fixed in my current development version.I am also trying to track down an issue that is causing sporadic blue screens (with low probability, but it can happen once every few hours of flying).Also note that if you are starting Tileproxy AFTER FSX then you will not get the moving map. Tileproxy has to be launched before starting FSX, only then it will be able to intercept the DirectX API.In my development version I now have full FS 2004 support including preloading of the Level of Detail circles along the flightpath. However the loading speed of FS 2004 is quite limited. Typically I get exactly the FPS number in tiles per second. i.e.20 FPS loads 20 tiles per second. Who would have thought ;)My FSX RTM support is not perfect yet, I still get black squares in the highest resolution (LOD14 and LOD15 detail circles) - but once this is working it will probably give the best Tileproxy experience of any simulator version out there.Christian