Sign in to follow this  
Guest cbuchner1

30cm/pixel with Tileproxy - works!

Hi,just dropping a quick note, that getting 30cm/pixel with Tileproxy is possible in principle. I just had my first flights with a test version today and it looked much like the 30cm Oahu scenery from fsdreamscapes.It is still far from being really useful, because the 4096x4096 pixel BMP tiles will be 25 MB in size *each* and some of the arrays used for computing smooth water masks and such will blow up the memory requirements to 1 GB right now *for Tileproxy alone*. Not to mention that it sometimes wants to load 500 and more JPEG tiles from the servers in one shot, just to create one of these behemoth BMP tiles.But I am still amazed that FSX will even consider to load that resolution from BMP textures. For a while I had actually thought, 1024x1024 pixels was a hard limit (TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024...)The super high resolutions are only good for people flying helicopters and similar gear (zeppelins, balloons, etc...). Even the ultralite will easily outrun the speed at which they are loaded. ;)

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Does that in theory then work for the scenery link I sent you a while ago for Australia which you thought had too high resolution?

Google, Yahoo and MSN all have enough resolution in city areas. About that Australian site, I think their servers could be supported in principle, but I am worried that they couldn't handle the load. As far as I can tell, these servers produce tiles on demand. You pass in coordinates (top, left, bottom, right) in lat/lon degrees and a desired resolution in pixels and they generate the tile server-side. That's consuming lots of CPU power on their boxes.Christian