Sign in to follow this  
Guest cbuchner1

Fun with hooks

Guest cbuchner1

While NY governor Spitzer may have been doing hookers in the hotel room, I am currently in a hotel room and doing hooks. Excuse the pun.I hooked into the DirectX texture interface to see when and what kind of textures FSX is allocating. I had originally intended to accelerate texture loading with this, but it appears during initial load of the scenery, DirectX textures are not yet involved. So back to square 1.Maybe this work could be a precursor to something else... say manipulating the shadow maps to generate ... cloud shadows?Christian

Guest rbrown3rd

Don't get in trouble with thode hooks You are always teasing us. Cloud shadows. Really!

Guest cbuchner1

Let me assure you, both hooks and hookers are legal in Germany. ;)

Guest cbuchner1

Some numbers to digest:During a default Flight with Tileproxy (60cm) over Friday Harbour with LOD radius = Low setting, FSX uses 375 textures. With LOD radius = Medium setting, FSX is throwing around about 610 textures. With LOD radius = High setting, FSX uses 1072 textures.Some of these are without doubt used for scenery objects and the aircraft itself, but the vast majority would be ground textures.During a flight, FSX keeps freeing and allocating new textures as it re-tesselates the mesh structure. There would be some serious optimization potential by reusing existing textures instead of freeing/allocating all the time.

Guest Gizmo

Hi Christian Nice to see your having fun with those hooks ;)Just a question if i mayWould it be possible to use your new found hooking to force the standard FSX(or other replacements)texture LOD radius rings up a lvl or two like we can under TP using thelevel_mapping=9,10,11,14,14,14,15,16,17option ?Im sure you've read many posts here at avsim about ppl wanting to push the closest LOD ring out a little more & ATM the only way to do this is to alter the LOD_Radius setting in the fsx.cfg past it default 4.5 max but this puts a real strain on the system as it doesnt just up the texture LOD but the the LOD for everything else being rendered as well!Hopping you can help us...yet againCheersGizmo