Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ragtopjohnny

Congrats, Christian

Guest Ragtopjohnny

I have been a supporter of Tile Proxy since very recently. It's too bad the only thing it does not have is night lighting for the scenery. The shots you posted recently were by me with the B-2 Spirit. I've been an advocate now of this wonderful program you developed and give you a virtual hand shake sir!These you all might be interested in:http://forums.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?t=187374http://forums.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?t=187374http://forums.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?t=182706You should be commended for such an excellent program you wrote. After the day I had yesterday, seeing you post my shots and article just made it a whole lot better! Thank you for Tile Proxy!JohnP.S - I'm planning on starting a website devoted to Tile Proxy

Guest cbuchner1

Thanks for your support - but not all is well though...As Phil Taylor has pointed out to me, the recent flurry of Tileproxy screen shots and their publishing of one article on flightsim.com has caused a heated debate about the legality, resulting in an already published article getting retracted. Two users (you included) even have received a stern warning that any further public dispute about this matter would get their accounts suspended.I have contacted one of the flightsim forum administrators to provide a bit of an opinion from my side. I hope that things return to normal soon. I will refrain from public postings over there to let things settle down a bit. Also most of the threads have been locked (closed down) anyways.The article that has been the subject of debate was a bit uncritical about the legal issues. I have made my personal opinion clear to the admins (the 5000 character limit per message certainly was no help but forced me to remain brief). I am curious how things will turn out in the end.

Guest Ragtopjohnny

> If you don't mind my asking, what did Phil Taylor have to do with this? Not much really, except for giving me a pointer as to what was going on over there.

Guest cbuchner1

> I have been a supporter of Tile Proxy since very recently. It's too bad the only thing it does not have is night lighting for the scenery.i am currently working on developing some mathematical tools to simulate realistic night lighting. It will require CUDA hardware acceleration though (Geforce 8 series or better)... This mathematical stuff goes by the funky names "Canny Edge Detection" and "Hough Transform" and basically allows the computer to "see" manmade structures. And now guess where I would be placing the lights... well kind of.. right next to the structures. Roads, buildings, you name it...

Guest Ragtopjohnny

Now that'd be sweet!Here's a little tip for you: Users with Ultimate Terrain installed (like myself) can use the night lighting on street level.The others, like houses, etc, disappear. You might want to compare how the two seem to be in areas because I have noticed, the bridges and highways do seem to be very close to the real world this time around on location.John