Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Steven Stratton

Memory Advice For Core I7 Build

Guys,I look to your knowledge and experience for some advice. My last system I built was over five years ago and a complete rebuild is long overdue.These are the main components I plan on getting:Processor: Intel Core i7 965Motherboard: Asus Rampage II ExtremeGraphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 280 1024MB SC EditionNow, from what I can gather that particular processor can take 1333Mhz memory but I plan on over clocking so what memory would you recommend?Secondly, I really want to get a Dell 30" screen, possibly a second too in the future - would SLI be beneficial at those resolutions? (2560x1600)Many thanks in advance,

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Guys,I look to your knowledge and experience for some advice. My last system I built was over five years ago and a complete rebuild is long overdue.These are the main components I plan on getting:Processor: Intel Core i7 965Motherboard: Asus Rampage II ExtremeGraphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 280 1024MB SC EditionNow, from what I can gather that particular processor can take 1333Mhz memory but I plan on over clocking so what memory would you recommend?Secondly, I really want to get a Dell 30" screen, possibly a second too in the future - would SLI be beneficial at those resolutions? (2560x1600)Many thanks in advance,
Keep in mind.. with i7 and 965 you have a lot more options for running memory at default or higher by trimming not only the CPU multiplier but BCLOCK and the memory multiplier itself.. A 940 and a 965 are exactly the same when it comes to performance ability... you can clock the 940 using BCLOCK instead of the multiplier which is only available in the 965. That means you can save yourself 500 bucks and use 940At the same time you always want the lowest TIMING possible for the memory speed you may end up running. With i7 you can run anywhere between 1333 and 1700 on 1600 memory and as the faster memory is released over the next year up to and through DDR3 2000 can also be runWith 940 and 920 having the higher speed memory is more important in respect of clocking ability because there are limits as you increase BCLOCk and the higher memory speed is needed to make sure you are covered for any clock.I would suggest these sticks for 1600 3x2GB http://www.mushkin.com/doc/products/memory_detail.asp?id=730And these for 1333 3x2GB http://www.mushkin.com/doc/products/memory_detail.asp?id=727Both will serve you well and with the 965 maintaining 1333 in a clock is easy because of the CPU multiplier but I use 1600 and trim memory speed up. You can run the 1600 product at 1333 and 6-6-6 timing too.. with the 1600 product you have options If you switch to 940 and for anyone on 920 who intends to clock I would strongly suggest the 1600 product because increasing BCLOCk will increase memory speed and you must have the ability to run based on the memory multiplier/dividers in place for the increased clock... but also keep in mind that ability to run stock memory speed in a clock is controlled by the BIOS and the board.. some boards may run memory @ 4GHz stock speed others may not. Its new to the market and the motherboard manufactures are changing things as the platform grows.Hope that makes sense.Do keep in mind the Rampage Extreme is a enthusiast board.. there is a lot more to that BIOS that others.. most of which you will most likely never use unless you are into cutting edge tech and experimenting

Thanks Nick_N, your reply is appreciated :)Well, base on your reply I should really being going for 1600Mhz memory so I can tweak as courage permits :(Would it be worth running two 280GTX's in SLI for those resoltuons I mentioned? Or is it a bit overkill?Regards,

Thanks Nick_N, your reply is appreciated :)Well, base on your reply I should really being going for 1600Mhz memory so I can tweak as courage permits :(Would it be worth running two 280GTX's in SLI for those resoltuons I mentioned? Or is it a bit overkill?Regards,
hmmmmWell... For performance, no... you wont get a single frame more out of SLi and... For 16-32AA, yesBut thats a heck of a cost just to run that resolution at 16-32AA and it comes with a reduction in settings to do it due to the CPU hit. I have seen the difference and although the higher AA on the larger resolution is smoother and cleaner, the cost to the CPU and requirement in reducing settings just did not seem worth it