Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Fidge

Possible Performance Improvement

Hi Christian,thanks for the great tool you gave to the Flight Simulator community!Since its performance is rather slow on my single core Intel Pentium M notebook with 1,86GHz, I just tried Mark Russinovich's Process Explorer on TileProxy and found out that TileProxy is constantly using about 6% of the available CPU time - even if it does not seem to download anything. So my idea is that the constant update of the console may be a performance hog (you know, when all the truly nice ASCII circles are drawn etc.)Would it be possible to give TileProxy an option to disable that constant update? For me, it was sufficient to have a console showing with which configuration options TileProxy is running and some few error messages.Thank you very much,- Timo

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Christian,Would it be possible to give TileProxy an option to disable that constant update? For me, it was sufficient to have a console showing with which configuration options TileProxy is running and some few error messages.Thank you very much,- Timo
The next version visually updates the DOS box once every 1 second, but it internally clocks at up to 10 heartbeats (updates) per second. So the LOD circles shown in the DOS will be able to fill up within a few seconds (mich faster than in Beta 7, especially if the entire area is already cached). I may even make that "1 second" visual update configurable... However the heartbeat will always run, even if the DOS box doesn't show the updates. So some CPU cycles are always "wasted" in that regard.The constant heartbeat is needed to determine what part of the scenery to load next. On single core machines this will have some impact on performance, but on dual and quad cores there's enough unused power left for Tileproxy to tap into.

Thanks for the info and update! A configuration option was just great!You are right. Due to the heartbeat thing, the impact may not be as much as I originally thought. Anyway, we will see how much the visual update frequency change will actually deliver. If it does not pay out, it has been "a nice try" at least... :( - Fidge