Sign in to follow this  
Guest BlueRidgeDx

Top Gun Simulations

Guest BlueRidgeDx

Hi all,I was hoping that there would've been a post about this already, or perhaps there is and I missed it...Dale "Snort" Snodgrass, whom you might remember is the highest hour F-14 pilot in history - among many other accomplishments - has started a new website that was mentioned in the most recent issue of FSInsider. The short story is, you use FSX:Acceleration to fly Carrier Qualification missions, and compete for prizes such as aviator watches, new computers, and even the chance to sandbag a ride in Snort's F-5. The carrier missions can be downloaded from the website, and feature more accurate LSO interactions, and passes that are actually graded, e.g. "High at the start. Lined up left at the start. A little low at the ramp. Two wire." Your passes are ranked on a realistic "Greenie Board" on the website, and you can see where you rank amongst all the other players.Check out the Videos section of the website for some interesting perspective. Its a neat concept, and well worth checking out. If nothing else download the missions for the increased realism of the LSO at the boat. Go here:http://www.topgunsim.com/tgssite/SiteHomePage.aspxRegards,NickDisclaimer: I'm not associated with these folks, so please, no comments to the contrary. Snort is the real deal, and the whole project was done with the cooperation and encouragement of ACES.

Re: to the above...Their utility, TGSexe, is used to upload your "mission stats" to the server. Has anyone been able to get TGSexe to function on a system using WinXP x64 Pro?TIA

Guest BlueRidgeDx
Re: to the above...Their utility, TGSexe, is used to upload your "mission stats" to the server. Has anyone been able to get TGSexe to function on a system using WinXP x64 Pro?TIA
Hi Rob,In an e-mail sent by the TGS folks on 12/26, they offer a temporary solution. Perhaps it will work for you? Here's the quote:"TGSexe & WinXPx64 Compatibility Fix We are still working and figuring out the best solution to the TGSexe & WinXPx64 Compatibility issue but we have a work-around that hopefully works for all as it did in our lab yesterday on a new 64 bit machine that we tested. We are using the simconnect tool provided by Microsoft to communicate with FSX. The required simconnect files are included in our TGSexe. However, it appears that in order for there to be TGSexe & WinXPx64 Compatibility, we also need the user to install the SDK (software development kit) that ships with the FSX gold pack. If the user has not installed the SDK on a WinXPx64 machine, then he/she will get the error about the installation of FSX and Acceleration pack. So for those of you with a WinXPx64 machine please install the SDK and that should solve the problem."Regards,Nick

Hi Nick,Thanks... I have that email and installed the SDK on the 26th... "no joy." B) I have been in nearly daily contact with Rolf Getty (at TGS... btw, outstanding support by him :( ) since the 11th of this month re: this issue :( . I just had hopes maybe someone here might have had success is why I decided to post. :(

Guest BlueRidgeDx
Hi Nick,Thanks... I have that email and installed the SDK on the 26th... "no joy." B) I have been in nearly daily contact with Rolf Getty (at TGS... btw, outstanding support by him :( ) since the 11th of this month re: this issue :( . I just had hopes maybe someone here might have had success is why I decided to post. :(
Hey Rob,Sorry that didn't work for you. I've been in regular contact with Rolf as well, and I concur...fantastic support. I hope they get you fixed up soon.Take care,Nick