Sign in to follow this  
btrjet

Do I need more wattage?

I bought an Athlon XP 2500+ processor, an Abit KD7 motherboard, and a GeForce 4 Ti 4400. The processor is coming up as unknown in BIOS, and I've had to manually increase the clockspeed.I've got her cranked on up to around 1.8 GHz, and as high as 2.0...The 2500+ is supposed to have a clock speed of 1.83, but I'm getting a high voltage warning, by the hardware doctor. The computer will also periodically turn off suddenly. My guess is that I need more power. I called the place that I got the processor from, and they issued an RMA, and will send me a new one, but I have it running up to speed, but with a voltage warning...Do I need a new power supply, or is this CPU just whacked? I am currently using a 350 watt case power supply...TIMMAY!!

Unless you have a lot of other extra stuff in the machine the 350W should be fine. If all you have installed are a couple of HDD's, a CD ROM, CD-RW, and a floppy I wouldn't change the supply yet. Of course, it could also be that the supply is either poorly regulated (a cheap unit) or it could be defective. Changing the processor may give you additional clues. (I wouldn't OC the new CPU until you are sure it works at the default settings).Trip

Timmy,I'm running the same 2500+ with the KD7-E and GeF4 Ti4200 with no problems. However, I had to flash the BIOS with the recent CY BIOS to get it to actually show the CPU as the 2500+ on bootup.If you haven't done a BIOS flash before don't worry. Just take your time and follow the few instructions to the letter and all will be fine.You can of course play around with the settings on this most overclockable CPU :-)My PSU is only 300W and I also have three monitors and two graphics cards on board plus all the usual stuff.Pat