Sign in to follow this  
Guest Smiley

New pilot

I am new to MS Flight Sim 2002, and I'm loving it! I would like to learn as much as I can about flying. So far I've read the ground school guild book and some of the ATC guild book, and I taken the flight lessons up to VOR navigation. The ground school helped me learn a lot about principals, but now I need to practice. I feel like I'm doing pretty good with slow flight, But I wish I could be more consistent with my landings. Even with no wind conditions, It's hard to be (graceful) each time. I would love to fly an ILS approach but I feel I should at least be able to land gracefully, consistently first. The interactive lessons are great, I just wish there were more of them. I have seen a book, I think the title was "MS Flight Sim Strategy Guild". Would this book be good for me? A lot of the information I come across is beyond the beginner lever.I would love to get more information and instruction for beginners. Can anyone Help? Thanks LG

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

To improve your landings set your throttle, adjust your trim to relieve pressure on the stick and adjust your descent rate to a setting that puts the plane on the ground without your inputs. Make notes as to your throttle and trim settings then adjust as needed to slow your descent or increase your sink rate so you don't damage the plane on the landing. Don't worry about where you land the plane (whether on the runway or in the middle of a field). Once you have your plane set up for a descent then make note of the change in descent rate with different flap settings and throttle settings. Start at 5,000 feet if you like to give yourself time to get the plane stabilized. Remember it's only a simulation. You have all the time you need and safety is not a concern . . . yet ;)Once the plane can land itself then add as few inputs as needed to land on a runway with a slight nose up flare before touchdown. Once you feel this has been mastered (or you get bored doing it) try landing on the numbers by keeping the view of the runway centered from top to bottom of the windshield. If the runway starts to look like it's moving up in your view add throttle slightly. If it looks like it's going to drop out of view reduce throttle a little. Aim for a point about 100' short of the numbers then flare and land on the numbers.Repeat with each ac you fly.This should help get you started. :) This is for small GA aircraft not the big birds (jets).PPSEL