Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

FSX - To install acceleration or not

You probably don't want to hear this, but it may have something to do with your system.On both my old (and ancient) system, and the brand new one I'm still setting up, both with SP2 installed, I do not see what you are describing. I do see what Bert describes though.Non-Autogen buildings and structures are always there.Autogen buildings and structures, once they appear, do not disappear and reappear.Perhaps there is something about your video cards and/or drivers that might be causing this?Regards,...jim
Hi Jim,Perhaps it's something in my FS-X.cfg, is there a way you can either attach or paste the pertinent graphics section of yours? On both systems I've seen this on, they were running NVidia cards. The first had a 9400 GT (512 Megs) and a second a 120 GT (1 Gig). If I can get the building issue resolved, then I'm fine with loading up SP-2. Performance wise, if I unlock the fps slider and max everything except A/C cockpit shadows (off) and water (2-low), I am getting 50-60 fps at my benchmark airport (Reno-Tahoe) although that drops to around 20-30 in heavily congested areas. I haven't installed any add-ons yet.I still run FS-9 and I haven't seen any anomalies in that sim.Maybe an Nvidia expert knows of a control panel tweak to fix the issue, assuming it's something my card is doing.Regards,JohnEdit: Eureka, I found the problem! Something in Jim's reply set me to thinking. I've been flying a lot lately with the Autogen slider off, I tend to prefer it off unless I am flying in a rural area. I set the Autogen to Sparse, just to see what would happen, and no more disappearing default scenery! So it seems the problem only happens when Autogen is fully off. I can live with Sparse Autogen, now the next question is whether there's a way to keep the Autogen from showing up at airports? (SFO now has trees adjacent to the runway, which it does not have IRL).Edit 2: One unfortunate problem with this is when I run Tileproxy (which I run often), since the tileproxy textures aren't autogen enabled, the problem with vanishing default scenery returns. If anyone knows of a way to enable autogen on top of photoscenery, that may help resolve the issue. But at least with the base FS-X/Acceleration I can enjoy the Reno Air races--as a participant.

Guest JimBrown

I don't use Tileproxy, so can't help there.A bit weird that setting Autogen to sparse fixed the problem. On my old P4 3.2ghz, 2gb ram, 7600GS (512mb) system, I had to run with no autogen, but never saw what you were seeing.Have you tried renaming fsx.cfg to something else and then starting FSX to let it build a new one? Perhaps you have a forgotton tweak that you added in there that is messing things up. Make a note of your current settings within FSX, as they will be reset to defaults.As for the trees beside SFO, that would take some editing of stuff which is beyond my knowledge. Perhaps UTX might correct it, but not sure if it's worth it if you're using Tileproxy.Regards,...jim

I don't use Tileproxy, so can't help there.A bit weird that setting Autogen to sparse fixed the problem. On my old P4 3.2ghz, 2gb ram, 7600GS (512mb) system, I had to run with no autogen, but never saw what you were seeing.Have you tried renaming fsx.cfg to something else and then starting FSX to let it build a new one? Perhaps you have a forgotton tweak that you added in there that is messing things up. Make a note of your current settings within FSX, as they will be reset to defaults.As for the trees beside SFO, that would take some editing of stuff which is beyond my knowledge. Perhaps UTX might correct it, but not sure if it's worth it if you're using Tileproxy.Regards,...jim
Yes, I tried the rebuild trick but no luck. It's quite odd the problem doesn't surface with just service pack 1 installed. There's one more trick I can try, and that is to make my aniso filtering app controlled (I have it set to 16x in the Nvidia control panel). But right now I don't mind a light level of autogen in exchange for fixing the problem, and my performance is so good I probably should just leave it alone. Most of my Tileproxy flights are outside of dense areas and in the back country anyway.