Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Callmecapt

Help with installing FSX

I have a big problem with FSXI can't install the damn thing. I did a massive overhaul because I had corrupted files in FS9 and FSX and after going nuts trying to fix them, I just got rid of them and started a fresh install of both. FS9 went very smooth. But FSX will start with a repair or remove dialogue. I tried both options and both encounter errors and have to stop the process. Then it rolls back the changes and I'm stuck at square 1.I need ideas and help.Goran

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

When you "got rid" of FSX, did you simply delete the FSX folder? If so, there are other bits of FSX that were left behind, and the FSX installer is seeing them and consequently thinks that FSX is already installed.The best course of action would be to completely wipe your system and install everything, starting with the OS. But, I'm guessing you'd rather not do that.Off the top of my head, there are three things that are still on your system that may be preventing the reinstall of FSX.First is the registry entry for FSX. Run Regedit and navigate to this key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\microsoft games\flight simulatorIf you see a key named "10.0" there, delete it. Don't delete any other key. WARNING! Messing around in the registry can be very bad to the health of your system. Make absolutely sure you are doing what you think you are doing. I cannot take any responsibility for any damage to your system resulting from your use of regedit.Second is the Application Data folder in your profile. Use Windows Explorer to find and delete it.For XP, navigate to C:\Document and Settings\<yourname>\Application Data\MicrosoftFor Vista, navigate to C:\Users\<yourname>\AppData\Roaming\MicrosoftDelete the FSX folder in that location (or copy it somewhere else.) You will need to have "View hidden files and folders" turned on to see these paths.Third is your personal FSX files folder (saved flights, logbook, etc.) This probably does not need to be deleted, but if you really want to start all over, it's best to get rid of it. You'll find it at:For XP, My DocumentsFor Vista, DocumentsDelete (or move elsewhere) the folder Flight Simulator X Files.Once all that is done, try the installation again. Should work now.Regards,...jim

I followed your steps to the letter. Problem remains. Also, I uninstalled it using FSX acceleration only using the acceleration DVD! :( I didnt put the dvd in to uninstall FSX. I then just deleted the FSX folderGoran