Sign in to follow this  
Guest SlimDady

Garmin GPS on FS2004

Hello.I've been checking out the 'official' website for FS2004 with much anticipation, and note they refer to the new Garmin 500 and 295 GPS systems.Question I have is: can anyone tell me what the difference is between the two, and why are two even mentioned?Why have two GPS systems?Do they do different things?ThanksAllblack

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

www.garmin.comCheck out the avionics section. That should answer most of your questions. The 500 is an IFR certified unit, while the 295 is a handheld VFR unit.

Thanks for that.Would I therefore assume that 'heavys' would use the 500, whilst a cessna pilot be happy with a 295?

Well, I've done all my real-life instrument training in Cessnas with a Garmin 430, a scaled down version of the 500 with communication capability. So, if you plan on shooting GPS approaches, or going GPS direct somewhere under IFR, you'd use the 500, no matter what plane you're flying. If you're just looking for a way to confirm your position while flying VFR, the 295 would be fine.

I assume that the "hevies" would rely on their IRS and FMC, terrian and weather radar for navigation. GPS would be more nessessary for General aviation aircraft?

The 200 series is a less featured version.. some planes will haev both 500 and 200sYou can use them to show different info, so you dont have to page through as many items..