Sign in to follow this  
Guest smann

New Member looking for some help

Guest smann

I have been doing a lot of reading on increasing performance to fsx and keep landing here so I thought I would join and ask for some advice. After some home remodeling and new office furniture I built myself a flight sim desk, this computer is only for fsx, we have 4 other computers in the house but this one is off limits to everyone. There are no other programs installed on this computer. The desk is a corner so I could run three monitors. (have picture)To start I bought two 22" Samsung 1600 res 2ms to add to my 24" Samsung 1900 res. I also bought 2 evga 9800 gtx video cards to replace my 8800gtx What I have:Abit IP35 PRO mother board (bought '07)Lga 775 socketIntel core 2 duo E6850 3.00 ghz4 gb ddr2 ram (bought all 4 as a set) do not know the brand600w power supply800 g hard drive2 evga 9800 gtx sli video cards- 6 pin each power supply24" Samsung monitor 1900 res2- Samsung 22" 1600 ressaitek yoke/throttle quadrant unfortunately I only had a couple of days to play around with my new setup, I'm now in Hawaii until the 28th so I have time to do research and take the info back with me I uninstalled the 8800 then installed one new 9800 card then the drivers, then installed the second card it came on fine but there was no message about the second card or SLI info. I plugged the 24" and one 22" in the #1 card and the 2nd 22" to the second card. All three monitors were recognized and came on fine. Prior to this I ran fsx in highest on all settings including water with fsp set to 25. Performance was perfect and rarely dropped below 25fps. I knew I would take a hit with the 3 monitors so here I am looking for some things to increase performance back to 25 fpsI am interested in aircraft performance but I do want scenery, I fly the C172 garmin panel local (PDX

Guest D17S

Well, FS will run on 3 monitors with that triple head to go gizmo, or with undocked 2D panels. Which are you running? In any case, you had a winner with the 8800GTX. The 9800GTX will provide no improvement. Additionally, the Vprocessing is all done on the primary Vcard. The second Vcard just provides additional DVI/VGA outputs. If you can, return the 98s, reinstall the 8800GTX and buy a cheapo 8400GS as the 2nd card. The 2 9800GTX are not helping. Your only real performance bet is to overclock the CPU. Trade the 9800s in on a Thermalright Ultra 120 CPU cooler. These CPUs are easy to O/C and that one should go to 3.6Ghz, easily.

Guest smann

That explains why the new cards were not very expensive compared to the 8800. I was running in Virtual cockpit, moving a new view to each side then adjusting the zoom and view to be the side windows. I did get some better rates when i used the uguru utility just didnt know enough about the voltage setting. it listed the cpu setting at 333mhz normal, 343 then 353 turbo so did a user defined at 383, tried 400 and the machine shut down. I found a overclock tutorial in another post i'll read up on thanks