Sign in to follow this  

Memory upgrade...Is it worth it??

I currently have a Celeron 1.3ghz w/384mb memeory. I'm thinking of getting another 128 to up it to 512mb but I'm not sure if it would even make a difference. I'm planning to build/buy a faster system in about a year. Just curious as to whether I'll notice a difference. $45 could probably be better spent... Thanks.BTW- Still running Win98....

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

If you are still running Windows 98, then 512Mb is sufficient to run FS2002 - in stock form - without having to rely on using the swapfile. You won't ever be able to avoid the very small and constant hard drive I/Os, nor of course the writing from HD to vcache, but other than that, the step up to 512Mb is a small, but noticeable improvement. My own tests have shown that 384Mb is *almost* enough memory for running the stock FS2002 under Win98, but then again it is not *quite* enough. With 512Mb you would have some room to spare if you ran other applets concurrently with FS2002.Having said that, I'd recommend you just stick with what you have and don't spend any more money until you upgrade. By then you will be running the latest version of Windows, you will really need 1024Mb of RAM in the machine, and it will (hopefully) run FS9 well and it will run FS2002 extremely well. I just think in your particular case, the money isn't well spent at the moment, because the chances you of you usefully using the memory in your next machine is negligible, and the performance improvement you will get will be quite negligible as well. Had you listed your machine specs as, for example, Athlon >= 2Ghz, Win 98, 384 MB of DDR 2100 or faster RAM, then I would recommend sticking in two matched sticks of 256MB RAM. As it stands I would say just wait until your next upgrade.

I have a Celeron 1.4Ghz with 512 of PC-133 memory and it made quite some difference in total system performance going from 256 to 512.Cheers!Mitch