Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest jez

Taxi on water

I've searched the forums without sucess so I'm hoping that someone can help. I'd like to make landing / taxing on water easier i.e like taxing on land. Can anyone help with this request. I'd love to fly more float aircraft but the trouble is the taxi portion of the flight. I've tried various different methods / lessons of taxi on water and still struggle.Many thanks in advance. Jez.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Jez,Is your name Spanish? Jez? No? No matter. Just trying for to make you laugh. Nevermind. It's just me being silly. Years back someone decided (and aparently caused other modelers to follow their lead) on just what values (in contact points section of cfg-where the nitty gritty is) was required to make an amphib or floats plane sit up, float, turn, and allow the ability to do water take offs. Follow me so far? And ever since, we tweakers have been 'dealing' with this by changes to those contact points (and other things, too). This requires some trial and error. I specialize in contact points, for vehicles, boats, UFO's, and float type aircraft. What is hard is to make anybody listen. They keep going with what is familiar. You can't FORCE them to accept, or even try, 'New & Improved' floats for their aircraft. I gave up trying. Emails go unanswered. Get the picture? They keep cranking out models with the same old hat floats set up. Time has stoped for these guys. No 'new' concepts allowed-might ruin the 'good luck'? Why am I adamant? Because you and I suffer for it, when it is not necessary.All I would need, then, is the aircraft model (hopefully it's freeware) so I can get at the contact points (floats). I can tell right away what is 'wrong'. Then I could make adjustments as needed. Should not take more than a day or two. Or, I could tell you what to change. Or, you could paste the entire 'ContactPoints' section here and I go get a simular model and use it. What effects the whole package, which will affect the taxi ability, has a lot to do with what values are used and also weight of a/c, and ref point and center of a/c (in 'Wt & Balance'), and a couple of other parameters (even in air file). So, even tho it's not that simple, the contact pt's bearing, or 'weight', is 90% (benefit, or fault). But other 'tricks' help with taxi. For example: using spoiler to slow as there is no other way to brake when in water. And, for example, you can increase rudder authority and area for better turning. Things like that. Drop me a line as to model. Cheers.Chuck BNapamule

Thanks for the speedy reply. No the names not Spanish, never thought of that one!, but an abbreviation.'There was me thinking that the answer was easy! I'm at work right now but will post the contact points part of the aircraft.cfg when home. The aircraft in question is payware, it's the MAAM XC-47. Nice aircraft and would love to fly float but as mentioned it is so difficult, or have I just no patience. Jez.

My suggestion would be start with the basics first. Shift+W operates the water rudders.This particular aircraft, the XC-47C by MAAM, taxis on land and water easier in the sim than the historical notes indicate for the RW bird. In water, put your water rudders down (Shift+W), use full power to get the aircraft moving (Real World XC-47C required this also), once movement begins you can pull back on throttle---feather the power as needed, use right or left rudder to turn right or left, once lined up into the wind, retract rudders (Shift+W), flaps as indicated, give full power, lift off around 78-80 knots.A quick read of the text file 'maamXC47.txt' included in the MAAM-SIM XC-47C folder gives insightful info.

Jez,See what I mean? This is exactly what I was saying about perpetuation of bad Karma. Water rudders is not emulated well in FS9. But, again, we are told this is BASIC ('.... the basics first. Shift+W operates the water rudders.'). And this is what one should DO. Over and over again. One step forward and 2 steps backwards. And forget about changing minds, as pride ALWAYS gets in the way, so I don't even try. Even if the rudders don't allow smooth turns, and may even cause tip over (hopefully you have wing 'tanks' which act as 'floats'), but 'they' will not question anything, to be 'safe' and not make FS enemies. Bunk.The rudders I use are part of the Floats type cnt pts, and not 'type 5' (usually last 2 lines-2 rudders-which work WORSE then if they had only 1 rudder, centered, but what the heck-can't fight 'popularity' I guess). I set the rear floats to have 'steering ratio' of 10.0 or 20.0 and that works GOOD. I then comment out the lines with '5' type (rudders). Save cfg. It's NICE to watch the rudders extend/retract, I guess. But to ME it's not 'worth' it. And for me to criticize MAAM payware might even be a 'no-no', as they consider themself the 'best' out there. Don't own any MAAM models. All are copies of freeware models, other than the decals, hype, etc, so no thanks. Get my drift. You are buying the 'brand'. Even if it don't work well. You did not buy it to WORK good, but (for YOU) to LOOK good (and brag you got a 'MAAM' this or 'MAAM' that..bla,bla,bla). And they know this. And you know this. So why complain.Chuck BNapamule

You ought to crawl down off your high horse for one minute. I've used the steering ratio on the floats for years and it was darned nice of you to offer to adjust the contact points for Jez. That particular adjustment works much better and more realistically in FS, in my opinion. I didn't cut at you or infer that your offer or suggestion was idiocy.Your retort is obvious, pointed, nasty, and uncalled for. The fella basically states he has trouble in the water, would like help that would help him in that environment to equal his land taxiing skills. Basics, like them or not, real world or sim, drop the rudders in the water. That simple maneuver has not been confirmed or denied. Then if he complains of erratic steering and tipping over doing high speed water maneuvers....then you can save the day.

DogKnot,So you are WELL aware that the 'rudder' paddles which is a 'frilly' option (nothing personal, by the way) DO cause problems. I wound contend that it is the modelers responsibility to 'save the day'. Not mine. That is not my role or function. I only offer information, like it or not, take it personal, or not. Facts are facts. "How rude?' Facts are rude? I'm rude? What is this a soap opera? This is technical subject matter. At least the way I do it. Never mind. Drop the 'oars'.Chuck BNapamule