Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Computer needed for FS2002

Last time I tried to load FS2002 a complete mess was done to my computer. May be the Directx version that is in FS2002?So the question is: what hardware and software (Windows) should I have in order to avoid this problem and make FS02 work well? I have Windows 98Pentium 3128mb RAMMany thanks for your help.

Guest seev_39

Your system, though very limited (compared to what people show here on this forum), can work for fs2002. You don't mention a graphic card, is it because you don't have one?I would suggest you buy a new PC to match the nowadays technologies, say pentium 4 processor or equivalent AMD (half price, same performance), 512 RAM, 40 GB HDD, and a video card (G-Force 4 at least) and, most important - move on to Win-XP. If some money is left, buy also a sound card and build yourself a decent sound environment.I don't think the DX version has anything to do with the trouble you have.If you don't wish to go into the above mentioned costs, I would suggest that at least you buy yourself a Win-XP o/s, but ask your computer store if your PC can work with it. Even better, format your HDD and after formating let the store install the new o/s. Switching to Win-XP will make you system much more stable. I run fs2002 for a long time, with many add-ons and never had a problem that needed re-installation, thanks to MS WinXP.Wish you luck and have funSeev

"I run fs2002 for a long time, with many add-ons and never had a problem that needed re-installation, thanks to MS WinXP."I second that, even running 98SE... I have never had to reinstall FS.... I did get overzealous and blew away my scenery.cfg once, but I keep a backup.I've also kept my 98SE desktop as stable as my XP laptop, as I've long enforced my own rollback procedures. I can't recall the last lockup that wasn't user error and/or wouldn't have happened under the same circumstances on my XP laptop. Any upgrade that ever took my system a step backwards got removed, and any replaced dll's restored. I have to maintain 98 on my desktop and about 20 workstations at my office in order to run some legacy software. I'd have heck to pay if they were any less stable than the majority of our team, which runs a mix of XP and 2000. RAM is the biggest issue I see in the specs we did see. 128Megs just didn't cut it for me when I first purchased FS2002. I think I ran FS2002 with 128 megs for a week, then I went out, and upgraded to 256...I would only suggest to anyone--wait on the upgrade until after FS2004 is released.... You can save $100.00 or more on cpu alone if reports show that the improvements between various higher end cpu's are slight. Upgrading to XP is inevitable, even in my case, but I wouldn't do it on a system close to retirement...wait until you upgrade, and make that the first priority, after the hardware purchase itself. Edit:I should add, my system specs are basic:P3/800, 256 Megs RAM, GEF 2/TI, 98SERuns FS2002 very well, so well I wouldn't upgrade for the sake of FS2002 alone....