Sign in to follow this  

Cessna 182 takeoff help needed

I got the Baron down as far as taking off but am a bit confused with the Cessna 182 for take off. Full tank of gas, I rotate at about 60 knots IAS, trim set for take off but don't leave the ground til at around 80 knots or so and as I'm leaving the ground at alittle above that and pull the stick back to 12 degrees or so I begin to slow down to climbing speed at about 90 knots or more. For some reason I'm thinking I should be leaving the ground at about 60 to 70 knots with a 12 degree pitch and slowly speed up to 80 or 90 knots and hold the speed there with pitch but I always either have to pitch up more than 12 degrees more like 15+ in order to climb at 80 or 90 knots or reduce the throttle. I usually wind up with a takeoff climb at 100 knots and that seems like to much according to the figures but it is smooth. Is it unusual to have to slow down in order to reach the correct climb speed? Now I can take off without full throttle and get a nice smooth takeoff but I'm thinking you're supposed to use full throttle. Can someone set me straight with all this please? Thanks. William

Guest Moghdad

More aft trim.

Off hand, I don't remember the VX,VY speeds, but just pitch up a little more to maintain the speed you want. You don't need to reduce the throttle on a 182. Your climb performance will also vary with density altitude. You also might want to check out these add-on files for the default 182. They are free & add some improved flight characteristics. Under "free stuff".http://www.realairsimulations.com/home.htmlL.Adamson

Sorry to have taken so long getting back. Thanks for the info and I'll also check out the link. Thanks again. William