Sign in to follow this  
Cactus521

737-300 auto throttle

hi i have the ffx 737-300 and its great .but the auto throttle wont work .it worked yesterday .but when i am cruising i want to fly at 320 indecated speed. When i turn on the auto throttle the thrust levers move down and stop then i am at 320 for like a minute then the speed slowly decrecses. Can somebody help me .here is a pic thanks http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/14512.jpg

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I haven't noticed any odd behaviour, although I generally cruise at mach .78, but at a much higher alt (FL330-350) and a slower indicated... How much does the speed drop off, or does it "bounce" between a range?-John

hi john it goes slowly down like this 330 329 328 but slowly so what do i dothanks

Slow down, and/or fly higher.... No 737 cruises at 524KTAS at 27,000 feet.I flew on a 737 out of Denver a few years ago.... It was UAL, so I could listen to the callouts. We did not exceed 280 kts during early climb, and we maintained mach .74 during the latter part of the climb, and settled on mach .77 the rest of the way down to Phoenix--but at FL350. I think our groundspeed ran between 440-470KTAS. On shorter flights I've taken between Reno and SFO, where our cruise would be at FL250-290, we would rarely go past 400-420KTAS...

hi john but what do i do about the auto throttle .it only works on some aircraft.and also it sometimes works and doesnt work.so what do i do????thanks

As I said, from seeing your screenshot, at least this one aircraft was being flown too fast. You need to learn how to use the autothrottle with each aircraft, and stay faithful to their climbout speeds, rate of climb, and cruise speeds. So the answer may be different for each aircraft. No one can teach you how to handle the autothrottle from a few forum posts--it just comes with practice. I don't have any jets where the standard panel and autothrottle give me trouble, as long as I fly them within specs... Also, the autothrottle is not perfect. It won't keep a "Death" grip on the airspeed no matter what. Fly through any changes in your environment, and you may lose or gain a few kts. My best suggestion.... Take each jet to FL270, then set the throttle at about 75 pct of max (there's a great gauge, called thrtpct I believe, which helps). Find out what speed the aircraft settles at, and you'll have a good idea of cruise. Do the same at FL350.....But don't expect it to be perfect--it's a sim flown by a human.... Neither can be perfect.... Just fly, and have a heck of a lot of fun with it...