Sign in to follow this  
Guest racartron

Questions that need Answering

Guest A321

Hi all,I think there are some questions that need answering, by MS, beta testers, or whoever knows.1) will AFCAD still work, if not does this mean all our scenery is as good as useless?.2) What addons will defenitly not work?I know we will probley find out at the various forums, but I really think there should be a community place where all addon developers (especialy payware) should post there thoughts or results. IMHO there needs to be one place with a list of addons that are working or will not work, a link to the patch. I think this will help the migration to ACOF for many of us. and what better place for it to be than on AVSIM (hint hint) :-). I will be more than willing to look after it, or do it myself, but whatever happens I really hope this happens, as it going to be so hard to kep track going around the various forums trying to find out what works, whats being patched, and what not.Please post your thoughts, I am not trying to bith, but i think it would make life better for all of us.I know its hard to tell untill we have the released code, but some people out there must know and im sure most big payware groups are on the case.JasonPS if you can think of any more questions please post them.

Guest Joshieca

My suggestion is for YOU (the software owners) to contact the creators of the scenery and ask them directly. Many add-on packages are designed differently. Some will work right out of the box, some will work after a patch, and still others will not work at all, until another means of implementation is developed.[div align=center][link:www.jetdoc.com/STO/]Visit The Bookstore & Gift Shoppe][/b

Guest H_Kev55

Jason,While your point is indeed valid, don't hold your breath waiting on some one to list every add-on that will and won't work in FS9. That is simply not going to happen.I've read that the FS9 team has gone to great lengths to make FS9 backward compatible.But, I don't think that they took the time to check every add-on. So be prepared. There is simply no way they will or can gaurantee anything.KJ

Guest Joshieca

My response wasn't directed at you Jason, it was for people in general. Since the software just went gold a few days ago, beta testers are not yet able to post anything that would violate the NDA. When the beta testers get released from the NDA then we can spill the beans. Most of the people who have sold add-on's for FS2002 should have a copy of the beta software and should have a very good understanding where their product stands in relation to FS2004.You yourself have 70 different add-on's installed. That represents just a small amount of the total add-ons on the market. It's futile to expect AVSIM (or any one group) to host a forum for developers to post updates on their products with so many out there. Your best bet is to contact the people which made it and ask for their advice...contact via email usually works best. If that's too much work for you, then my suggestion is not to purchase the new software until you know more about it.To be honest with you a lot will not be known until some key developers get their hands on the Software Development Kits from Microsoft and those will not be out until AFTER the software get's released in the end of July. I know it can be frustrating because we all want all of our software to work as it does in FS2002 but with the much anticipated improvements that FS2004 will bring. All I can say is hold tight for now. I am sure that as things progress in the next 45 days we will know more about where we all stand with regards to add-on software and FS2004.

Guest Toni Rauch

Personally, I think Jason's idea is very good, with the exception that quite a few developers probably won't post to the new forum section. However, I'm sure that most will at least read it.So here's my suggestion:See if Tom may open a new forum section for FS2004 COF Addons where the users can report on their findings regarding 'backward compatability' and/or any feedback they may receive from developers.That way, many users will have their questions already answered saving the need for literally hundreds of 'same questions' e-mails to the developers, and through replies received, can report what's happening to the community in general.In other words, it could be a 'first stop' for compatability issues. Not moans, praise or discussion about FS2004 or addons in general but simply "..this works, ..this doesn't, ..Lago (e.g.) are making a patch for their XYZ product, ..Ariane (e.g.) aren't," or whatever. Could save a whole lot of wasted time and searching.(And Tom, it might even boost your readership! :-sun1 )Toni.

Guest odog

hey,here's what i "heard" so far. Most, if not all scenery addons that dont exclude autogen are going to be screwed. As i understand it, you get random trees in the middle of runways and things of that sort. Most, if not all aircraft addons appear to be working fine. Even clickable VCs appeared with out mods. (excepting those dependent on FSUIPC) Afcad is dependent on FSUIPC and, unless you've been under a rock, will require you to fork over some coin. If, that is, Afcad is still compatible with CoF.I think your idea, while helpful, is premature, and a bit of a waste of time for freeware authors. Those authors are going to be busy redoing all the 2k2 stuff.out with the old, in with the new. not such a bad thing.this is all second hand info, so... you know. :-)not a bad idead, but i wouldnt expect freeware guys to bother with it. Payware sites should be responsible enuff to handle this on their own sites.joe

Guest racartron

Interesting concept but it will never happen. MY plan (hehehe) is as follows:1) Don't buy CoF outta the gate. My hardware is probably not up to the task anyway. So the rest of my plan may well be moot(love that word).2) Continue to follow several of the major forums (I currently track 8 or 9 on a daily basis anyway). The vast majority of freeware developers post on these forums, so I'll quickly see the problems and if/how they affect me. ****Trust me on this. I can guarantee you will here about any/all problems*******3) Make a decision whether to move over to CoF based on the degree of difficulty/pain/expense I perceive to be involved.I have FS2K2 set up pretty daggone nice at the moment and don't feel any sense of urgency to trash it. I'd much rather sit back and watch the hordes battle it out for survival. :-)Racartronit means something, but I just can't remember what