Sign in to follow this  
9dreamer

How can i improve anti aliasing quality in FSX for Nvidia card?

Hi all, I don't know if i'm the only one with this issue or what, but i noticed that the default FSX anti aliasing option works real crappy with Nvidia cards. I have friends using ATI cards, and i can find almost 0 stair-step edges from their screenshot, all of their edges are real smooth. However, on my Nvidia 9800GTX+ card, i can find TONS of those, which really make me mad. I cannot stand those stair step lines on the wing of the aircraft and on the livery...and the nvidia control panel don't seem to help.I have also tried nhancer, it did kill lots of the edges, however for some reason, it's giving me a blur effect in FSX, where everything in FSX becomes blurry, gauges, menu,etc..so i disabled it again...so if there any pros out there that can help me with this issue? Idk why is nahncer causing the blur..since after i restored the settings to default, the blur disappeared immediately..i'm using XP sp3, and FSX SP2. Thanks for helping!i attached some screenshots showing the rough edges on the livery and the tail and wing(might need to be placed at original size to see the edges i'm talking about) ....which for some reason..never appeared on ATI cards....i know ATI cards are known for their display quality, but i went nvidia anyway cuz of their performance. But there is this big of a difference?

Intel Core i7 3770K @4.2Ghz, 12GB DDR3 1333 RAM(2x4G G.Skill, 2x2G Corsair), Asus P8Z77-V Pro, CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo, MSI GTX 560 Ti OC 2GB GDDR5, Evga SuperNOVA Nex750B 750W, 2.12TB HDD(1x 120GB Samsung 840 SSD, 2x 1TB WD Black Caviar 7200RPM), ASUS VE228H LED 21.5”, Logitech Attack 3, Windows 8 Pro x64

this is some of my friend's screenshot, with ATI 4850 graphic card..and i do not see any rough edges on the tail or livery...

Intel Core i7 3770K @4.2Ghz, 12GB DDR3 1333 RAM(2x4G G.Skill, 2x2G Corsair), Asus P8Z77-V Pro, CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo, MSI GTX 560 Ti OC 2GB GDDR5, Evga SuperNOVA Nex750B 750W, 2.12TB HDD(1x 120GB Samsung 840 SSD, 2x 1TB WD Black Caviar 7200RPM), ASUS VE228H LED 21.5”, Logitech Attack 3, Windows 8 Pro x64

Guest firehawk44

You state you used Nhancer but did you follow the directions suggested by NickN in his FSX Tuneup thread (http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041)? He includes pictures (of Nhancer controls) and everything. Personally I don't use Nhancer, never have, probably never will and I get awesome graphics (except for the AA anomalies you mentioned on the wing when the sun is shining and on most of the panels, again when the sun is shining. But I see no AA issues on the tail of any aircraft as you indicate). I use the default settings set up my the Nvidia Tech people who developed the best video card settings for FSX (or so they say). I also have AA turned on in the game. I hope you find a solution but this topic has been discussed quite a bit in this forum and other FS forums over the years and I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed with the results. Best regards,Jim

I use the default settings set up my the Nvidia Tech people
do you mind sharing the settings the Nvidia Tech people set up for you?

Guest firehawk44
I assume that Jim is refering to this information: http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_fsx_techtips.htmlEdited: I don't use this recommendation myself. For example: I limit my fps to 30fps to obtain a smoother flight. I'd guess that the recommendation was pre SP2.
No, those are just the basic settings the tech people set up when FSX was first published. Since then, Nvidia includes the game basic setup based on your system with every driver under the Program Settings tab. Apologize for the confusion but I thought this was well known. Best regards,Jim

Guest UlfB
No, those are just the basic settings the tech people set up when FSX was first published. Since then, Nvidia includes the game basic setup based on your system with every driver under the Program Settings tab. Apologize for the confusion but I thought this was well known. Best regards,Jim
I wouldn't recommend using the nVIDIA FSX profile. Better to use nHancer and the recommended settings by Nick Needham http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041