Sign in to follow this  
BobKK47

FSX airport desert textures. Is there a fix?

This is an old topic that was discussed when FSX first came out. Haven't been to AVSIM for a LONG time so I thought I would check in to see if there's anything new regarding this topic. Does anyone know of any add-on software (free or payware) that will change the desert texture appearance of the FSX airports to more realistic grass textures? I live in Calif. so I'm aware that there are a number of airports located in desert terrain which FSX depicts correctly (with desert texture). Barstow Airport for example. But there are also many other airports with the FSX desert texture that should, instead, have grass texture. Santa Barbara Airport (KSBA) is one example I can think of but there are many others, particularly in the western part of N. America. I use the Cloud9 x-class terrain add-ons for both the US and Canada and they did seem to help with this specific issue, but mostly in the eastern part of those respective countries. So I'm wondering if there are any other programs out there that address this issue.Thanks very much for any information.

This is an old topic that was discussed when FSX first came out. Haven't been to AVSIM for a LONG time so I thought I would check in to see if there's anything new regarding this topic. Does anyone know of any add-on software (free or payware) that will change the desert texture appearance of the FSX airports to more realistic grass textures? I live in Calif. so I'm aware that there are a number of airports located in desert terrain which FSX depicts correctly (with desert texture). Barstow Airport for example. But there are also many other airports with the FSX desert texture that should, instead, have grass texture. Santa Barbara Airport (KSBA) is one example I can think of but there are many others, particularly in the western part of N. America. I use the Cloud9 x-class terrain add-ons for both the US and Canada and they did seem to help with this specific issue, but mostly in the eastern part of those respective countries. So I'm wondering if there are any other programs out there that address this issue.Thanks very much for any information.
I don't know if this thread I posted helps, but take a look at these screenshots:http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=254916I live in Arizona and the mod for the desert textures worked really well for me. They aren't really new textures, but a mod that replaces the desert textures for the southwest with FSX textures that fit the area better. I fly over Arizona IRL fairly often, and the mod took away one of my biggest issues with FSX.Regards,John

I don't know if this thread I posted helps, but take a look at these screenshots:http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=254916I live in Arizona and the mod for the desert textures worked really well for me. They aren't really new textures, but a mod that replaces the desert textures for the southwest with FSX textures that fit the area better. I fly over Arizona IRL fairly often, and the mod took away one of my biggest issues with FSX.Regards,JohnThanks John, very nice screenshots. The SW desert depicted in your shots look much more realistic than the default desert scenery. FSX default desert tends to look like the Sahara. I'll get that file and install it today. I wish there was a way, though, to also improve the look of the airports which have that "sandy" look to them when, in reality, they're more greener looking.