Sign in to follow this  
Guest beulahkilborn781

XP -> 7

Guest beulahkilborn781

I want to get Windows 7. Just for the ###### of it. I don't want to do dual boot as that's a lot of work and my hard drive already has 2 partitions on it.Basically, what I want to do is just put Windows 7 in place of XP, which I'm pretty sure I can do.My hard drive has 2 partitions. One is C:, which is where Windows XP is installed. The other is D:, which has all my important data (including games). So basically I already backed my system up. However, what I want to know is if I can even do this without consequence. If I were to just clear out the C: partition and install Windows 7 on it, would I still be able to access the D: partition without any issues? Or would I have to reformat that partition to so Windows 7 could interact with it? I have reinstalled Windows XP on C: before without having to do anything to D:, but that's probably because I made both partitions when installing XP the first time...

Guest firehawk44
I want to get Windows 7. Just for the ###### of it. I don't want to do dual boot as that's a lot of work and my hard drive already has 2 partitions on it.Basically, what I want to do is just put Windows 7 in place of XP, which I'm pretty sure I can do.My hard drive has 2 partitions. One is C:, which is where Windows XP is installed. The other is D:, which has all my important data (including games). So basically I already backed my system up. However, what I want to know is if I can even do this without consequence. If I were to just clear out the C: partition and install Windows 7 on it, would I still be able to access the D: partition without any issues? Or would I have to reformat that partition to so Windows 7 could interact with it? I have reinstalled Windows XP on C: before without having to do anything to D:, but that's probably because I made both partitions when installing XP the first time...
If you install Windows 7 and reformat Drive C, you are doing a clean install so your XP registry will be wiped out. You'll have access to Drive D and your games and stuff but they will all have to be reinstalled in order to function in Windows 7. If you do an upgrade from XP (and there's a "secret" way of doing that), then you won't have to reinstall all your programs on Drive D. For info on scenarios for installing Windows 7 from different platforms, I would check out the info on this excellent site: http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/.Best regards,Jim