Sign in to follow this  
Guest cwra6

upgrade options

Guest cimgrp

Greetings,Posted this first on the hardware forum, but only got one reply (to upgrade memory), which does not seem to fit with other posts I've seen. My question...given current system (Dell 8200, 1.8 Pentium, 512 SDRAM, GeForce 3 64 megs), would I get more back for my buck on FS by upgrading processor or vid card? Any advice appreciated.Regards,

I have been told many times that upgradeing proc will be better then just vid card. I think going from 1.8 to a 2.5+ would be excellent!

Guest MikeEppright

From what I have read, you probably would get more bang for the buck by takin' care of the little lady! That will be an investment that will reap returns when you next really need a new computer. What I hear is that you should be in good shape on this one.

Guest cwra6

I'd do both. Cost you about $500, a lot less than a new machine, and you will have quite acceptable performance. I was very impressed with the difference the Radeon 9700 Pro made on my system. I know that MSFS is very cpu dependant, but the Radeon really handles the clouds and the busy airports. Colin