Sign in to follow this  
Guest bstolle

cessna 185 fuselage (cockpit) structure question

Guest sg38

Just bought it and noticed that the V struts at the glareshield are missing.I'm not too familiar with the 185 but all the photos I've seen so far have the V struts (Like the L-19 & and the Super Cub).BTW gyro precession is surprisingly strong on this plane and very noticable during pitch changes!

Guest BeaverDriver
Just bought it and noticed that the V struts at the glareshield are missing.I'm not too familiar with the 185 but all the photos I've seen so far have the V struts (Like the L-19 & and the Super Cub).BTW gyro precession is surprisingly strong on this plane and very noticable during pitch changes!
Good observation :( . The "V" braces are used for the seaplane version (and maybe the ski-plane) only. This is due to the higher stresses placed on the airframe and they are designed to beef up the passenger cabin a wee bit for float operations. The strictly wheeled aircraft doesn't have them. Now, if the plane is on floats in summer and goes to wheels for the winter, they usually just leave the V braces in. To be completely honest, I'm not sure if they are even removeable once installed, but I suspect they are.Hope that helps.

Guest sg38
Hope that helps.
Wow, very informative answer! and yes, it did help. Thanx a lot :(