Sign in to follow this  

Cloud altitudes

Can anyone else confirm they are getting this issue?I'm flying in the U.S. western intermountain region where ground elevations are typically around 4,000 ft. ASL.I'm seeing cumulus clouds that extend out of the ground, meaning their bases are sitting at ground level. When I tune ATIS or ASOS/AWOS at local airports, I hear reports of clouds at -900 ft. What's up with that? :-lol I'm running the real weather 15 minute update setting and I have the weather dynamic set to minimal.It appears the weather engine is trying to build cumulus clouds without reference to where the ground level is. If I was at sea level, the bases would be at 3,100 feet, which seems normal. I can't believe that the weather engine would use sea level as the reference point instead of topographic ground level.Bruce

Here in Colorado, the clouds like to cluster around the base of the mountains...looks kinda odd. Bases are usuaally somewhere above the mountains...Using real world wx...DaveStill looking for my haze...