Sign in to follow this  
Guest PhilipManwaring

314 Clipper Cruise Speed Question

I've been enjoying this magnificent aircraft since buying it a few days ago, but I've run into a little snag and was hoping somebody's experience with the bird might provide some clues.According to the docs, a 70,000lb Clipper should make about 128 KIAS at 1600 rpm and 25" HG MP. I'm flying with about 8,000 lb of fuel, thus total weight is about 65,000 lb. At 3,000 ft, there is no way this baby will even stay in the air with less than about 30" HG MP and 2100 rpm. At these settings, I get 95 KIAS in level flight. Doesn't that seem a little low given the low weight? I believe I've followed the checklists (flaps and beaching gear are up) so I'm a little stumped. Also, the docs say 270 degrees C is the max cylinder head temp, but I can't get it below 300 even with cowl flaps fully open and with MP at 32" HG. It just seems like there is way too much drag for some reason and that this is causing slow cruise speeds and engines to work too hard. I've tried closing the cowl flaps but this does not seem to net any increased speed. Please help!Thanks,Philip.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

It turns out that the cowl flaps do model drag correctly, but only when you open and close them from the panel controls rather than the FS2k2 shortcuts. With that sorted out, the bird flies just as she should. Really nice piece of work!