Sign in to follow this  

Help me: FS2004 sound troubles..

Okay, this is VERY odd... I love FS2004.. all few minutes I can TAXI in it. When I change a view a high pitched elongated *BEEP* is blasting nonstop. Kinda like the hospital flatline sound. Anyway, this high pitched sound takes over every other sound on my system, even after I close FS9 and open up an mp3 or something of that sort. NO OTHER SOUND WORKS ON MY COMPUTER THEREAFTER. I've tried the logical thing; turning off my ALTEC THX 4.1 speakers and then turning them on again, but the ringing is still there. The only way I can get rid of this annoyance is by restarting the whole computer. I've tried uninstalling completely and reinstalling FS2004 twice now, and say after the fifth time I've changed a view (by using SHIFT+S or S), the high pitched ring comes up.. I should add that after the ring starts, FS slows to nearly .5 fps.. Specs: Dell Dimension 8100 Intel P4 1.7GHz 80GB HD 512MB RAM Santa Cruz sound card (don't know much more than that) nVidia GeForce 2 Ultra 64MB w/ patched 40.52s drivers DirectX 9b (the newer version) However, I can still fly, just as long as I stay in one view; cockpit. I'm scared to even switch between the cockpit and virtual cockpit (vCockpit for better view of my surroundings) for the fear of that ring starting up.Anybody have any ideas??Regards,Tim

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I also have a Santa Cruz.I've been able to eliminate the problem on my system (WinXP Home) by going into the "DirectX Diagnostic tool" which is located in (Accessories/system tools/system information/tools) and changing the "hardware acceleration level" within "SOUND1" from FULL to BASIC.Not sure, however, how this might impact the sound on other Direct X dependent programs at this time. So far so good.This is a band-aid fix, I think we will need someone to come up with new drivers.Martiro

I had the exact same problem and solved it with a driver update. I downloaded the new drivers and the problem seems to be fixed as everything sounds fine now. You can go to http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/kb_ftp/585ftp.asp to get the new drivers (sc_4193.exe). They are unsigned so if you have Win XP you'll get a bunch of warnings but they seem to work ok for me.Jon