Sign in to follow this  

ATI Radeon 3D cards for FS 2002/2004

Hi!Has anyone upgraded from Nvidia GF 4200 Ti (or similar) to ATI Radeon 9700 Pro or 9800 Pro?If so, what kind of improvement would take place?My setup: 2.53 gHz P4, 1 gig RAM, AGP4x (my mainboard doesn't support higher)FS 2002/2004 display: 1280x1024x16.Grateful for tips and experiences.......Hans HermanssonSWEDEN

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi,Yes I upgraded from GP 4200TI to Radeon 9800 Pro. And yes the difference in performance is dramatic. The GF battles when it comes to running resolutions of 1280x1024x32 and higher with antiliasing enabled. The Radeon does this with a smile and often with unnoticeable frame rate hits. I run FS2004 with all sliders maxed, and framerates locked at 25fps which I get more than 95% of the time. However there are some airports that are FPS eaters. But I think its more my CPU running out of steam, which is by the way a 2.4Ghz Intell CPU. I have thus far only had fun and great experiences with my Radeon 9800 pro and would trade it for anything right now. Good luck in deciding what you want, but my money is on the 9800 pro.Cheers Gerrit