Sign in to follow this  
Guest jordan

Taken for granted.

Often the terrain, and landmarking in the sim is overlooked or taken for granted. I guess because to so many times it ends up just being the "backdrop" to a nice flight.In FS2004, using only the default scenery, I started a flight at a VERY obscure airstrip in the mountains where I used to camp/hike as a kid in Idaho. The scenery is so accurate that I can take off and navigate visually using highways and dirt roads that I used to drive on to get to my favorite campsites. Every road is present, every river, every creek, every lake. I can actually look across the terrain and see things exactly as I saw them in real life. The improved autogen brings even more depth than ever. MS has done a monumental job at incorporating real-world map and landmark data into the basic scenery. I was able to do this for the first time in FS2002, however the roads and rivers didn't always sit so nice. FS2004 is about a 200% improvement in road/river/landmark accuracy. For those of us that appreciate "as real as it gets", its a real treat. I still can't get over it.Some times when I see FS being compared to other "games" I wonder if details like this are taken into consideration. Something that seems so simple, yet must have taken a great effort to perfect.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!