Sign in to follow this  
Guest MEA707

Is this a good PC for FS2004

I'm planning on building my own computer and am on a limited budget.So far these are my plans:Pentium IV 2.4GHz768MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM80GB 7200RPM ATA-13316x/48x DVD-ROM52x24x52 CD-RWRadeon 9600 ProSoundBlaster Audigy XGamerI may change some things, if I can find a 9700 or 9800 at a good price then I might upgrade to that.Remember, I'm on a budget.Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.Regards

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Yes. On a limited budget this looks like a very balanced setup and I think you'll get some very acceptable performance on any game you care to throw at it, including MSFS. If you can afford to go for a slightly faster CPU, then I'd go for that instead of going for the Graphics card upgrade. It's a little easier to upgrade the Graphics card later-on than it would be to put a new processor in. But then, that just my personal opinion/preference. I find CPU installations are a bit fiddly compared to AGP swapping :)Good to go for the 7200rpm drive so you can load up those textures quickly. ATA-133... is that Matrox? They're nice n quiet too!I don't know much about the Radeons 'cos I use GeForce, but I have seen very positive comparisons with higher-end Geforce cards.Nice setup.Simon.

Yeah the hard drive is Matrox. Good price too, $90.The reason I chose the 9600 is because it's a good priced card with good performance and DX9 performance.From what I've heard, the GeForce FX5600 Ultra (same price as Radeon 9600 Pro) is a relatively weak performer for the price.The next up is the FX5900 which is way above my budget. So I have no choice but ATI.I wanted to get a slightly faster CPU, but it's going to cost me A LOT more. Unless you find a good deal.Regards