Sign in to follow this  
Guest WilliamW

FSX Deluxe, Win7 Ultimate - 1628 Install Error

Guest WilliamW

Much appreciation to anyone who can help.I have recently wiped my old system (XP, SP3) - and replaced with a complete, fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit). I have had great sucess in completing fresh installs of many, many applications - with one execption - FSX DeluxeIn general - shortly after initiating the install, I receive a "1628: Failed to Complete Install" messsage. It appears before I am presented with any install options, looking as though it can't initialize the installer.I have already tried to apply the various solutions noted in MS KB article:http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/910816I have tried starting the "dvdcheck.exe" with all levels of compatibility and admistrative permissionsI am about out of ideas - and appreciate any and all help available.I see lots of people having success with FSX and Windows7, but also keep reading that there is some difference between FSX and FSX Deluxe components - although no-one seems to quite know what that difference is in relation to install compatibility. FSX Deluxe is rated as "not compatible" with Win7 32bit, but no explanation is provided.http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibi...re&p=Flight Simulator X Deluxe&v=Microsoft&uid=&pf=0π=0&s=Flight simulator: deluxe&os=32-bitI think the issue is actually with the "Installer" itself and not the FSX program -- Once the install is started, I will see messaging of "preparing the installer", which will complete, a screen will pop up - which I can only see for a brief second, then it will dissapear - and be replaced by the 1628 error screen.Thanks

Guest WilliamW
Much appreciation to anyone who can help.I have recently wiped my old system (XP, SP3) - and replaced with a complete, fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit). I have had great sucess in completing fresh installs of many, many applications - with one execption - FSX DeluxeIn general - shortly after initiating the install, I receive a "1628: Failed to Complete Install" messsage. It appears before I am presented with any install options, looking as though it can't initialize the installer.I have already tried to apply the various solutions noted in MS KB article:http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/910816I have tried starting the "dvdcheck.exe" with all levels of compatibility and admistrative permissionsI am about out of ideas - and appreciate any and all help available.I see lots of people having success with FSX and Windows7, but also keep reading that there is some difference between FSX and FSX Deluxe components - although no-one seems to quite know what that difference is in relation to install compatibility. FSX Deluxe is rated as "not compatible" with Win7 32bit, but no explanation is provided.http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibi...re&p=Flight Simulator X Deluxe&v=Microsoft&uid=&pf=0π=0&s=Flight simulator: deluxe&os=32-bitI think the issue is actually with the "Installer" itself and not the FSX program -- Once the install is started, I will see messaging of "preparing the installer", which will complete, a screen will pop up - which I can only see for a brief second, then it will dissapear - and be replaced by the 1628 error screen. When turning on verbose logging for "setup" - I see the following:<Clip> 10.00.394.1 1: InstallShield Install driver started, version:10.00.394.1 1: Package Path: E:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X.msi 1: Command Line: /verbose"c:\mylog.log" /v /v"SETUPEXEDIR=\"E:\"" MSI © (74:48) [04:21:03:414]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding ISSETUPDRIVEN property. Its value is '1'.MSI © (74:48) [04:21:03:414]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding ALLUSERS property. Its value is '1'.1: Extract supporting files 1: Failed to extract ISRT.dll, error is 5 1: Failed to extract support files, error is 5 MSI © (74:48) [04:21:03:469]: Leaked MSIHANDLE (2) of type 790541 for thread 3912MSI © (74:48) [04:21:03:469]: Leaked MSIHANDLE (1) of type 790537 for thread 3912=== Verbose logging stopped: 5/10/2010 4:21:03 ===<End Clip>Thanks

Guest firehawk44
Much appreciation to anyone who can help.I have recently wiped my old system (XP, SP3) - and replaced with a complete, fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit). I have had great sucess in completing fresh installs of many, many applications - with one execption - FSX DeluxeIn general - shortly after initiating the install, I receive a "1628: Failed to Complete Install" messsage. It appears before I am presented with any install options, looking as though it can't initialize the installer.I have already tried to apply the various solutions noted in MS KB article:http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/910816I have tried starting the "dvdcheck.exe" with all levels of compatibility and admistrative permissionsI am about out of ideas - and appreciate any and all help available.I see lots of people having success with FSX and Windows7, but also keep reading that there is some difference between FSX and FSX Deluxe components - although no-one seems to quite know what that difference is in relation to install compatibility. FSX Deluxe is rated as "not compatible" with Win7 32bit, but no explanation is provided.http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibi...re&p=Flight Simulator X Deluxe&v=Microsoft&uid=&pf=0π=0&s=Flight simulator: deluxe&os=32-bitI think the issue is actually with the "Installer" itself and not the FSX program -- Once the install is started, I will see messaging of "preparing the installer", which will complete, a screen will pop up - which I can only see for a brief second, then it will dissapear - and be replaced by the 1628 error screen.Thanks
Not having the latest dotnet framework as suggested in the microsoft support link can cause problems with the installation. Make sure your Win7, 32 bit is up-to-date with the latest updates. If you have tried all the suggestions offered in the support link, try cleaning the DVD. If that doesn't fix it, get a free registry cleaner and clean your registry. But one of the suggested solutions offered in the support link should work or your DVD is defective and you can contact Microsoft and have the DVD's replaced. I think the reason why you are getting info that FSX Deluxe is rated as "not compatible" with Win7, 32 bit is the fact that FSX was made several years ago when the XP system was the prevalent and Vista was just coming up on the horizon. So disregard any not compatible messages. It is compatible. I don't recall getting a not compatible message when installing FSX on my system though.32 bit systems require better memory management and you will have to install the bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 2560 switch when using FSX as you're likely to get crashes to desktop or freezes without it. More info at this link: http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041. 64 bit versions of operating systems handle system memory much better and thus switches are not required.Best regards,Jim