Sign in to follow this  
MrGreen

Yoke Related Question

Hi, although this question is about hardware or more specifically the Ch Yoke i have i want to ask it here, because frankly the only thing i fly is pmdg stuff so i thought i'd get an answer here that is usable on those specific airplanes.I've been trying to get my yoke perfect for quite some time and haven't really bothered to get help here on avsim, but as i've searched every where on internet and here on avsim im finally gonna ask it.As most of you know its quite hard to get the real "feel" of a force feedback-less yoke when wanting it to behave like a real one, but you should be able to at least get an accurate "sensitivity" or how much the ailerons/elevators move when i turn the yoke this much etc.I've tried the fsx native sensitivity settings but the only seem to delay the effect of the yoke, and the slope effect in FSUIPC is not really likeable imo because if you turn the wheel enough the airplane wants to "catch up" and the last part of the turn is really aggressive. (you can see this on the "joystick calibration", first the "in" goes to maybe 3000+/- with 0 "out" and then "out" goes from 0 to 3500 (for example) with only 500 more in input. I have found this effect to be "innate" of either fsx or my yoke software without setting any slope, the last 1/3-1/4 of the yoke-turn results in a much larger fsx-control column input.Would there be possible to instead of increasing or decreasing the delay of the input actually decreasing the sensitivity like you do to, for example a mouse? What i mean is instead of the input and output having to be equal when i have reached a full "turn" of the hardware-yoke, the input is 100% but the output was only 50%? No catching up, just a smaller turn in fsx compared to the yoke.Hope you all understand what i mean, oh and before i forget, and this might be too offtopic for the forum section, but is there a way to move the "zero" of the yoke aileron left or right like you do with the calibration wheel for the elevator? My yoke seems to have a left bias so i have to turn it a bit to the right to fly straight, its not much but it gets frustration if you try to fly straight and level without autopilot.Thanks alot for reading, sorry if i bored you, but any help is appreciated! :)

About the first question, the problem with it is that you would not be able to turn the yoke all the way left or right, which wouldn't be too realistic anyway. It can be done with a LUA script if you have a registered copy of FSUIPC. Let me know if you do and I'll gladly do the script for you. It will be a simple text file with a multiplier so you can adjust the sesitivity. The "zero" offset is something that can be sorted out with a dead zone calibration in your yoke or, again, in FSUPC. In the Joystick Calibration tab you can set the zero value. That basicaly involves pressing a button and you're good to go. Even the script could handle that, but as that zero value may change over time and you may need to recalibrate that in the future, I would go for the FSUIPC center calibration. Simply moving your yoke, then release it and let FSUIPC read the zero value. EDIT: now that I think of it, for Q#1, maybe you don't need the script. You can use the same Joystick Calibration tab to change the max/min value of the axis. I'll test it when I get back home if you are interested in the solution

Hi, yes mine is the registered one. About the yoke not being moved all the way, well yes its not too realistic but at the same time having very jerky movements isn't either. The only other things i can think of that would resolve the issue is to change the amount of aileron input in the aircraft itself, and wouldn't know how to do that. Strange thing is that there seems to be a sort of slope as default, i dont know if you can see the same thing (if u have yoke/joystick) but at first the fsx-yoke is turned in synch with the hardware yoke but maybe halfway through it speeds up alot so if you do half-fast yoke turns especially from left-center-right in one continous turn it will jerk even more.Anyway i tried setting the center deadzone and it seemed to work pretty good although it made the respones on one side very slow. Easiest way to explain it is to say the actual numbers: before configuration the center was at 1800-2000 (with positive being to the left and neg to the right) but when i centered it wasn't in a 1/1 relation to the output anymore so somewhere it got this irritation slope thingy when it jumps from say 3000-5000 in 1 degree of a turn. I would appreciate it if you wanted to make a try with the fix, if possible. Maybe 75% for example so instead of it going 0-16000+/- it only topped at 12000+/- or maybe even 50%, i have no idea what works best. Anyway all help is appreciated, thanks.

Can you please try this?move the yoke all the way to the left and press the min button. then to the right and press the set max button. make sure the center remains calibrated as you did before.Then, if that works, you have a centered zero and somewhat linear response (apart of the default slope), if you want to reduce the sensitivity you would only need to repeat that but moving it something like 80% to the left/right.If you think that centering the yoke in FSUIPC is the cause of those over responsive spots, try reverting that and set a dead zone for the axis instead (your yoke should have beeen shipped with some calibration/configuration utility)r u FS9 or FSX btw?

I found this in the FSUIPC user guide:For more predictable responses from your joystick, consider editing the FS CFG file and adding:STICK_SENSITIVITY_MODE=0To the [CONTROLS] section. This makes FS treat the raw joystick readings in a linear fashion. By default, since FS2000, FS has applied a time-change formula to the axes that, in my opinion at least, which can give rise to some unwanted behaviour. You will need to edit the CFG file before running FS, as any changes you make whilst FS is running will be overwritten. So it looks like it's a MSFS related issue. I have a yoke too. It's a Saitek Pro Flight, but I'm not at home right now so I can't test any of this things myself :(I should be back home in a couple of hours, and if all this doesn't work I'll program that Lua script

Thanks, ill try the tips right now. Im running FSX btw. The yoke im using is from CH, and although you can download a calibration software its too complex for my patience.