Sign in to follow this  

Help, I broke James Belk's Gold Mine airports and can't fix it.

Its the notorious "floating scenery" problem, but before you jump to conclusions listen to this quick tail, cause it used to work!I installed Eddie Denny's alaska scenery into the Addon directory. Flew around for awhile, quit fs2002. Added Gray's trees_v3 to the correct places. Flew around for awhile, and quit FS2002. Installed Belk's Gold Mine Airports to their own directory (not add on), and flew to, and landed on each one. They were all great!I then got curious, so I went to the library, and deactivated Denny's Mesh, and Belk's airports. Flew around. Added Denny's mesh, flew around, then activated Belk's airports, and flew around. Only now .. all his scenery is at the wrong altitudes. Somethings are too high and float in the air, other things are hidden beneath the surface.I have moved out of FS2002, and move back the mesh, and scenery files, in all sorts of orders. I have tried moving their priorities. I have tried deleting all the scenery.dat files, and all the index files in the fs2002 main directory.None of that has helped.Its gotta be something simple, but what? :/

Finally fixed it .. here is what I did .. Well first a story .. I played with it a bit turning things on and off .. and finnaly got it where FS2002 would crash each time I got near the airports. Mind you all I was doing was clicking on the active box in the library. That's all! :/ So here is what I did out of desperation that fixed it.I went and moved the alaska mesh just above the default alaska mesh in the library list. I made sure Belk's airports was active too.Left FS2002 I then went and removed all dat files, and all index files.I restarted FS2002 (of course the index rebuilds took a few minutes)Went to the airport, and now its fine! :)I'm sure I did most of that before .. but not necessarily in that order.Computers .. :(This post because I hate seeing posts that ask about a problem I'm having then seeing "I fixed it" and no other info, and no other responses .. doesn't that just bite .. so incase anyone finds this in the future! Try the above, and good luck.

I only thought it did. Turns out none of that mattered at all.I don't do scenery so I don't know all the details, but here is what I have peiced together.Its partly my video card (that basicaly has little HW acceleration)Its partly the scenery.The alaska mesh is only in high detail, and only used for things up close. So the altitudes are not exactly correct for things off in the distance (that seem to be using the default scenry for the "blurries"). If I approach the airport slow enough, in a simple plane, with no clouds, it works fine. If I start the simulator at the airport it works fine.If I fly in too quickly, such that the airport scenery is loaded before the mesh is loaded, then the airport scenery is at the wrong heights. When the detailed mesh loads some of the airport items get their heights reset, and look fine, but most of them remain at their disjointed locations (either floating in space, or burried in the ground).