Sign in to follow this  
Guest treeman

FSX SP1&SP2

Guest simmer9304

After reading some of the recent threads here I realised... I didn't follow the procedure of rebooting FSX for a .cfg rebuild after installing FSX then SP1&2 and Acceleration (is there one of those head thumping smilies here?)Should I do an uninstall and reinstall of FSX or is the performance gain not worth it?I also would like to make sure my addons stay safely backed up and preferably not destroyedRegardsAlex

Guest firehawk44
After reading some of the recent threads here I realised... I didn't follow the procedure of rebooting FSX for a .cfg rebuild after installing FSX then SP1&2 and Acceleration (is there one of those head thumping smilies here?)Should I do an uninstall and reinstall of FSX or is the performance gain not worth it?I also would like to make sure my addons stay safely backed up and preferably not destroyedRegardsAlex
After installing Acceleration, I would rename the fsx.cfg and let it rebuild itself. I would NOT uninstall/reinstall. There would be absolutely no performance gain. You should make sure your harddrive is defragged though after installation of everything as FSX/Acceleration throw files all over the hard disk and that will affect FSX performance. I have an empty 500GB drive and I simply copied the main FSX folder to that harddrive. I also have an addon folder which contains all my commercial addons on the extra harddrive. You can backup the other FSX folders but I think that would be a waste of time. Backing up FSX/Acceleration can save me from doing a repair in the unlikely event a file is deleted or corrupted. For instance, in the Effects folder there are a couple of files that affect aircraft lighting and the default lights are usually overwritten by an addon developer and, in my case the files are deleted when the addon is installed. This causes the lights on the wings to become squared when DX10 Preview is enabled. Now I have this effects folder backed up plus backed up again on Drive D. If you have the space on an extra harddrive, this is a good thing to do. I also have backed up some MegaEarth folders as reinstalling these addons takes a long time. If I ever have to reinstall FSX, I can simply goto the Scenery Library and add the scenery.Best regards,Jim

Guest simmer9304

Thanks Jim I renamed the fsx.cfg and I'll let it rebuild I was worried it may not rebuild with the updates correctly but it looks like you saved me a good bit of time! Your backup system also sounds very efficient and now you have me thinking of doing the same thing so tonight I may end up dumping my FSX folder into an external hard drive! Thanks for the ideas! As an unrelated side note what motherboard do you have? I saw your computer specs and I'm looking for a mobo that will let me overclock and I ended up buying one that turned out to be dead on arrival so I'm shopping around :( RegardsAlex